Trying to send data from Arduino to Website with ESP8266

I am relatively new to Arduino and her is my situation. I've been working on my project for a while now and am currently trying to send data to a website with an Arduino. With doing a lot of research, I came to the conclusion that I should use an Esp8266. The problem is, I have no clue how to work it. At the same time, I am also trying to make a website but I'm also a beginner in that field too (I know this isn't the really the place to ask about websites so if anyone could refer me to something to teach me how to make a website that could would be great!) Currently I know a bit of HTML and a fair bit of Arduino. The end goal would be to send the data from the Arduino and Get it on a website I would greatly appreciate it if someone could try and help me.

Thanks

That you want to use an ESP8266 module probably means you want to do it over WiFi, this as there are also ethernet shields for the Arduino.

There are lots of tutorials out there of how to send data to a web site, it all depends on what you want. The ESP can act as web server (and host complete web sites) by itself, it can connect to a remote server and post information over MQTT, as http POST, or connect to a MySQL server, and there are probably more options. It's up to you what you want to do.

To send data from you Arduino to an ESP8266 your first need to send the data over Serial or I2C from the Arduino to the ESP, so i suggest you start there as get that working. Once you have the ESP receiving the data you can then use one of the many examples with a esp library such as webClientRepeating and change the URL to a link of a subdirectory in your website that contains a PHP file to handle the data, of course your need to make that PHP script to GET the data or use POST, GET is faster. if your new to html and PHP then i suggest a website called w3schools www.w3schools.com html and they cover everything for website coding so just use the search and cover PHP get and make it a .PHP page with html code inside else your have to use JS Curl or JS Ajax which i recommend. oh and only servers can run PHP so you wont be able to test if with your browser like HTML.

ChrisLamont:
I am relatively new to Arduino and her is my situation. I've been working on my project for a while now and am currently trying to send data to a website with an Arduino. With doing a lot of research, I came to the conclusion that I should use an Esp8266. The problem is, I have no clue how to work it. At the same time, I am also trying to make a website but I'm also a beginner in that field too (I know this isn't the really the place to ask about websites so if anyone could refer me to something to teach me how to make a website that could would be great!) Currently I know a bit of HTML and a fair bit of Arduino. The end goal would be to send the data from the Arduino and Get it on a website I would greatly appreciate it if someone could try and help me.

Thanks

if you stick with the ESP8266 module's default AT firmware read Arduino & ESP8266 Webserver | Martyn Currey

if you replace the ESP8266 module's default AT firmware with ESP8266 Arduino Core firmware
http://www.martyncurrey.com/esp8266-and-the-arduino-ide/
Of course, re-programming the ESP8266 flash is a challenge as well

ieee488:
if you replace the ESP8266 module's default AT firmware with ESP8266 Arduino Core firmware
ESP8266 and the Arduino IDE | Martyn Currey
Of course, re-programming the ESP8266 flash is a challenge as well

ChrisLamont, it may not be clear to you from the above post that you may not actually need a 'basic' Arduino at all; just an ESP8266 module (like this one) could easily do all you need unless you need a lot of i/o. With that device, you won't need to worry about sending commands from an arduino board to the ESP8266 (or reprogramming the flash; the IDE will do it all for you); the ESP8266 is a microprocessor in it's own right (also has a lot more memory than most Arduinos). And there are plenty of examples of sending data from ESP8266 via wifi to a web server.

You could start with the basics here: A Beginner's Guide to the ESP8266

Once you know how connect to WiFi and how to send HTTP requests, you can start sending data to a web server.

Here's a complete example:

It also contains the server-side code that inserts the received data into a database.

Pieter

quilkin:
ChrisLamont, it may not be clear to you from the above post that you may not actually need a 'basic' Arduino at all; just an ESP8266 module (like this one) could easily do all you need unless you need a lot of i/o. With that device, you won't need to worry about sending commands from an arduino board to the ESP8266 (or reprogramming the flash; the IDE will do it all for you); the ESP8266 is a microprocessor in it's own right (also has a lot more memory than most Arduinos). And there are plenty of examples of sending data from ESP8266 via wifi to a web server.

+1000

For beginners using that Adafruit module or the Wemos D1 mini Pro ( https://www.wemos.cc/ ) or others like them is so much easier.