Trying to use an Arduino for an aquaponic setup

Hello,

I'm new to this forum so please forgive me if I'm doing something wrong, but I need some help. I recently built an aquaponic setup and got it up and running, the issue is that it requires that the pump be on for 30 minutes and off for 30. I looked around for a device that'd let me do that, however, they're quite pricey. I then saw that my local amazon was running a nice discount on an Arduino Uno. What would I need to get to make this a machine that essentially feeds power to the pump for 30 minutes, keep it off for 30 minutes and repeat?

Thank you and have a fantastic day.

you could use a relay driven by an Arduino to switch the motor power
doing a web search for arduino relay will give plenty of links

Low voltage pump: add a MOSFET switch; high voltage pump: use a relay.

Arduino is a bit of an overkill for what a 5 USD mechanical timer clock can do as well - they usually have 15 minute intervals so perfect for your use.

I agree with wvmarle on the overkill part. Also since you've never used it before, While it would be easy to just set up a delay function for 30 minutes, theyre only even partially accurate for short intervals like half a second or something and 30 minutes would drag it more and more off every time. You would have to use a rtc or like timer interrupt which are a bit more advanced. Don't get me wrong now, buy the Arduino, you won't regret it. But dont use it for your project. Learn how to use it and you'll find endless other projects you can do with it that's more worth your time

you could always use the Arduino to sense water levels, temperature, etc

horace:
you could always use the Arduino to sense water levels, temperature, etc

That is true, and if you're looking to do that too than yeah, Arduino all the way. But if it's just power on a timer, eh.

NeilSawhney:
Don't get me wrong now, buy the Arduino, you won't regret it. But dont use it for your project. Learn how to use it and you'll find endless other projects you can do with it that's more worth your time

I've always found it more efficient to buy stuff when I have an actual need for it. In a few years when OP finally has a use for it maybe there's a much more advanced/cheaper Arduino available, no need to be held back by old tech.

I built one for a mate of mine about 2 years ago. Uses 2 different time periods as he said day and night required different pump run times. Uses delays which I know some will go yuk, but it worked to our advantage on the switchover from day/ night . Another reason he decided against the timers shown above was they did not last very long.

bluejets:
Another reason he decided against the timers shown above was they did not last very long.

Using one for the heat light of my turtle that's operating for many years now. It's indoors, which will help.