Trying to use Motor Shield and XC4382 Bluetooth module together

Hi guys
I’m trying to use the XC4382 Bluetooth 4 LE module with the Adafruit motor shield v1. According to the motor shield docs, digital pins 2 and 13 are unused, so that’s what I’m trying to use to hook up the Bluetooth module. Problem is, I don’t see any serial activity from the Bluetooth module (just the blinking red light meaning it’s ready to pair).

I have pin 2 connected to the RX pin on the Bluetooth module via a voltage splitter to reduce +ve to 3.3v, and pin 13 connected to TX pin, and +5v and GND connected to the power pins.

Thanks for any help.

Sketch code:

#include <SoftwareSerial.h>

#define rxPin 13
#define txPin 2

SoftwareSerial BTSerial(rxPin, txPin); 
//#include <AltSoftSerial.h>
//AltSoftSerial BTSerial(0,1); 

char c=' ';
boolean NL = true;

void setup() 
{
    pinMode(rxPin, INPUT);
    pinMode(txPin, OUTPUT);
    Serial.begin(9600);
    Serial.print("Sketch:   ");   Serial.println(__FILE__);
    Serial.print("Uploaded: ");   Serial.println(__DATE__);
    Serial.println(" ");

BTSerial.begin(9600);  
    Serial.println("BTserial started at 9600");
    Serial.println("");

}

void loop()
{

// Read from the Bluetooth module and send to the Arduino Serial Monitor
    if (BTSerial.available())
    {
        c = BTSerial.read();
        Serial.write(c);
    }

// Read from the Serial Monitor and send to the Bluetooth module
    if (Serial.available())
    {
        c = Serial.read();
        BTSerial.write(c);   

// Echo the user input to the main window. The ">" character indicates the user entered text.
        if (NL) { Serial.print(">");  NL = false; }
        Serial.write(c);
        if (c==10) { NL = true; }
    }
}

I just happened to have a HC05 bluetooth module connected to my Uno. I loaded your sketch, changed the pins for RX and TX to my setup and ran your code. Whatever I type into the serial monitor is echoed back by to HC05 and I see what I typed on my tablet (running a Bluetooth terminal). So the code works, with HC05, the problem is elsewhere.

I have pin 2 connected to the RX pin on the Bluetooth module via a voltage splitter to reduce +ve to 3.3v,

Can you show how this is connected? What are the resistor values? Can you include the Bluetooth module data sheet?