Turn Timer (teaser) - for the board game fans.

Hey guys.

I'm not sure how much overlap there is between arduino and board-gamers,
but I've just finished my Turn-Timer and thought some of you might be interested.

Teaser:

http://turntimer.com/

-Josh!

Is that like an electronic speed-chess timer ?

raschemmel:
Is that like an electronic speed-chess timer ?

yeah, it's similar in the sense that each player gets a button and pushing that button indicates an ending of their turn.

I'm not a gamer. How does this relate to arduino ?

raschemmel:
I'm not a gamer. How does this relate to arduino ?

Oh, sorry. I forgot to mention that at its core, it's an Arduino.
(actually, an ATMega328P micro controller w/ Arduino bootloader)

Buttons / Rotary Encoder acting as inputs.
LED's acting as outputs.
The micro-controller runs the whole show.

-Josh!

This is the Exhibition /Gallery. It's nice to show off your work but arduino is open source and the spirit , if not the intention of this topic is to present a project with all the documentation and code for others to build it as a DIY. i clicked on your website link and didn't see any links
so is it your intention to present the schematic and code later ?
If so , would you please also post it here so forum members can see it without having to go to your website ?

raschemmel:
so is it your intention to present the schematic and code later ?

This was just the teaser to see if anyone was interested. The whole thing will be open-source, but I'm not done documenting yet (hence the single-image website) and am still debating over whether or not I should put the time in to design a custom PCB for this project. If enough people show an interest then I may do that, otherwise I'll just have to put together a schematic and let people go to town with their soldering-irons.

So you did this more to test the waters than because of any pressing personal need for such a device ? (I'm not a gamer so I would have no use for it)

raschemmel:
So you did this more to test the waters than because of any pressing personal need for such a device ? (I'm not a gamer so I would have no use for it)

I'm a big gamer. Been playin' every Friday night w/ friends for years now. I needed an Arduino-Project, and I realized a lot of game would benefit from such a device. So I built this one for myself, and I got it in my head that it would be a cool idea to launch a kickstarter (for a kit) if it turned out there were other gamer's that are into DIY stuff. Unfortunately, without a kickstarter to buy at least 100 units worth of goods, the price for a single guy to DIY would be way-high.

I've run a kickstarter before, and I know how much work it is... so if there isn't enough interest then I've got no problem with moving onto the next project. (which unfortunately is not Arduino-based). Best case: there is interest and I can run a successful campaign offering ~100 of these things. Worst case: No campaign, and I just post what I've got thus far so anyone who is interested can build one (hopefully with parts they already have or it becomes wicked-expensive).

Anyhow, I'll keep this thread updated.
Still lots of work to do.

-Josh!

Hi Josh!

I'm a board-game-player and have a question: is it importand how long someone needs for his turn? or is this timer for games with timelimit?

And I see this thread as "Gallery" and there I want something to see. When I go to a gallery and there is just a guy who says that over there should be a picture, i would be angry!

Robert

flyingangel:
is it importand how long someone needs for his turn? or is this timer for games with timelimit?

It's for whatever games you would like to play with a timer. It has been my experience that there are quite a few games out there that would benefit from a timer... and quite a few (slow) players out there that would equally benefit. (myself included).

flyingangel:
And I see this thread as "Gallery" and there I want something to see. When I go to a gallery and there is just a guy who says that over there should be a picture, i would be angry!

I'm sorry, but I do not follow. There is a picture on this thread and there will be more pictures in the near future.