Turn up the heat!

I've got a fun little project at home where I have my Arduino UNO and motor hooked up to my electric heater in the wall. I push a button and the motor spins the knob on the heat 180* to turn it on. Another button turns it 180* the other way to turn it off.

Here are a few scenarios where I'd like to be able to turn on the heat.

1. I'd like the ability to control this motor from my desk nearby, such as a button via wifi, etc.

2. I'd like to be able to program it to turn on every morning from 6am to 630am so I wake up to a warm room

3. I'd like to build an android app so I can press a button on my phone driving home from work and have the heat already on.

Any feedback on these three points?

ripcurlksm:
I've got a fun little project at home where I have my Arduino UNO and motor hooked up to my electric heater in the wall. I push a button and the motor spins the knob on the heat 180* to turn it on. Another button turns it 180* the other way to turn it off.

Here are a few scenarios where I'd like to be able to turn on the heat.

1. I'd like the ability to control this motor from my desk nearby, such as a button via wifi, etc.

A long USB lead and serial monitor.

1. I'd like to be able to program it to turn on every morning from 6am to 630am so I wake up to a warm room

delay(23.5 * 60 * 60 *1000); or use a RTC module.

1. I'd like to build an android app so I can press a button on my phone driving home from work and have the heat already on.

Isn't it illegal to use a mobile phone whilst driving in your country?

Henry_Best:

No, I live in Africa

btw if its not only for fun
ther are super cheap little devices that you plug and and there are lot of little buttons u push the button for anythign you like and it will be on for the specific time !!!! they are not electronic devices (dont use power! just mechanic)

First, I should mention that I am posting as an Arduino novice. So the following is outside of my actual experience. They are only things that I have read about in passing.

Since you would like to access your Arduino device from multiple locations, it makes sense to try to do it through the internet. Of course, this is dependent upon you having internet available at your home where you can plug it into your Arduino. Here is a link to a page about doing this with an Ethernet Shield. Though, I suppose a WiFi shield could also do it.

Someone else mentioned a long USB cable. If you had that, you could use your own computer for the Internet access. There are fairly inexpensive USB extension boosters that allow USB cables to be run much longer than the typical recommended maximum.

Once your Arduino is talking to the Internet, then you should be able to access it from any other place you can also access the internet. It might be that the Arduino hosts a web page with a button to turn on and off the heat. Your cell phone's web browser would be able to access the Arduino web page.

You might alternatively communicate by sending a tweet to the Arduino, or some other comparable method. If you search for "Internet" and "Arduino" and perhaps the phrase "Internet of Things" you should get a lot of information from people who have done things like this.

-Joe Dunfee

ripcurlksm:

Henry_Best:

No, I live in Africa

Then I'm glad I don't.

program it to turn on in the morning as you like.
then have it turn on at the time you leave work. run for a time, then shut off. that way, if you are not home in time, it will not run all the time, but it will be warmer when you get home.

I saw the note about long USB cables, much prefer you use your phone while driving than reel in a long USB cable while driving.

just an idea, but could you send a signal from your computer at work ?

Internet control of your device would be pretty easy. Controlling devices via a cell phone system seem to be a more challenging.

dave-in-nj:
then have it turn on at the time you leave work. run for a time, then shut off. that way, if you are not home in time, it will not run all the time, but it will be warmer when you get home.

Something like a timeswitch...

I saw the note about long USB cables, much prefer you use your phone while driving than reel in a long USB cable while driving.

Not what I was referring to, but you did make me smile :slight_smile:

dave-in-nj:

just an idea, but could you send a signal from your computer at work ?

Definitely better than lugging around a USB cable :wink:

zoomkat:
Internet control of your device would be pretty easy. Controlling devices via a cell phone system seem to be a more challenging.

Thats helpful thanks

cadcoke5:
First, I should mention that I am posting as an Arduino novice. So the following is outside of my actual experience. They are only things that I have read about in passing.

Since you would like to access your Arduino device from multiple locations, it makes sense to try to do it through the internet. Of course, this is dependent upon you having internet available at your home where you can plug it into your Arduino. Here is a link to a page about doing this with an Ethernet Shield. Though, I suppose a WiFi shield could also do it.
http://arduino.cc/en/Main/ArduinoEthernetShield

Someone else mentioned a long USB cable. If you had that, you could use your own computer for the Internet access. There are fairly inexpensive USB extension boosters that allow USB cables to be run much longer than the typical recommended maximum.

Once your Arduino is talking to the Internet, then you should be able to access it from any other place you can also access the internet. It might be that the Arduino hosts a web page with a button to turn on and off the heat. Your cell phone's web browser would be able to access the Arduino web page.

You might alternatively communicate by sending a tweet to the Arduino, or some other comparable method. If you search for "Internet" and "Arduino" and perhaps the phrase "Internet of Things" you should get a lot of information from people who have done things like this.

-Joe Dunfee

Great post, thank you. More than anything just knocking around some ideas on what is possible or ways to interact with the Arduino wirelessly... via wifi, bluetooth, IR, cell phone, etc.

Just to be clear, my original suggestion about using the cell phone was actually thinking about using the phone's web browser. Of course, you want your user-interface to be sized for the small screen. But, all you want is a on/off button, with perhaps a display of the current temperature, and then a place to put your intended temperature. You might have a separate screen to set up a schedule like what a typical programmable thermostat can do.

The only caution I have about the cell phone browser, is that these browsers have fewer features than computer based ones. Flash is one typical limitation. But, I don't know what other limitations are.

Be sure to document your work, and document your own programming, so that you can share your work with others.

-Joe

.[/quote]

Just to be clear, my original suggestion about using the cell phone was actually thinking about using the phone's web browser.

[/quote]

OK, that did it for me. I vote to use the phone before winding in a long USB cable while driving. and BOTH of those before surfing the web while driving !