Turning a Koala (the board!) into an AVR programmer

Hi!

First of all, a “flaming newb” warning is probably warranted. I’m a unix sysadmin with some programming experience who’ve just recently stumbled into electronics and microcontrollers. So far I’ve mostly been messing around with my Arduino UNO and a few simple projects, but my “todo” list is steadily growing with ideas. One thing I’ve come to realise is that I’ll soon want to break out of the Arduino and start using AVRs directly, building more “permanent” versions of my better projects.

For this, I would like to upload my sketches to Atmel AVRs directly, probably using the Atmega328 chip, at least initially. For that, I would need an AVR programmer.

Now, one piece of kit that’s been sitting unused in my parts drawer for a while is my Koala protoboard from Sparkfun - http://www.sparkfun.com/products/8722 . Since it has a FT232RL, USB connector and power supply on-board, it looks like a good candidate for building one. Has anyone done something like that? What would be required beyond the clock crystal, some resistors and maybe a zif-socket or something? Could this be used directly from the Arduino IDE?

Thanks for any tips (and please excuse the newbness!)

For that, I would need an AVR programmer.

True, but there's nothing non-permanent about the Arduino code. I see little benefit to going native (although you will gain about 2k of program memory).

What would be required beyond the clock crystal, some resistors and maybe a zif-socket or something?

Nothing I think, a zif socket is optional as well, much cheaper to use a standard DIP socket.

Rob

Graynomad:

For that, I would need an AVR programmer.

True, but there’s nothing non-permanent about the Arduino code. I see little benefit to going native (although you will gain about 2k of program memory).

Ah yes - I think I expressed myself poorly. It’s not the Arduino code I’m looking to remove, just the board. I.e. I want to run my sketches on a standalone 328 instead of on the Arduino board, if that’s possible. I have the SMD version of the UNO so using the Arduino itself to program a 328 would be tricky.

"SMD version of the UNO so using the Arduino itself to program a 328 would be tricky." Not true. Run the Optliloader.pde sketch on your Uno, connect 4 pins + +5/Gnd to a blank chip & download bootloader into it.

Then use your FTDI chip as USB/Serial adapter to download sketches into your built up design with 16MHz crytal, 22 pf caps, 10K reset pullup resister, 100nF decoupling caps on VCC,AVCC, AREF.