Turning a webcam on/off using arduino

Hi,

I am new to this world and I am trying to do a project for my school.

The short version: I want to know if it is possible to turn a webcam on/off using my mega ADK or breadboard.

More context: I am making a laser tripwire security system and I want the webcam to be a part of the system. The idea is that when the laser tripwire is tripped, it will turn the webcam on (at least), and start recording and storing or streaming the footage (if possible), then a servo motor which the webcam is mounted on will rotate it based on the motion sensor signals.

I would appreciate any help.

Thanks

There are quite a few issues with this. Firstly the webcam is likely to be a USB slave device. So the regular run of the mill boards won't be able to communicate with it unless they have a separate USB Shield. Even with this sorted, Every webcam has it's own peculiarities in it's communication protocol. (hence the need for separate drivers for each different model webcam in windows). So unless you can get a thorough knowledge of the way your webcam communicates with it's host, you're flogging a dead horse.

It's vaguely possible that somebody has already gone through this painful process (try googling) but, even if they have, the chances of THEIR code being compatible with YOUR webcam is pretty remote.

It would be more practical to build an application on your PC to turn on the webcam and capture footage (perhaps at the prompting of your arduino when it detects the trip), Leaving your arduino free to monitor the PIR sensors and operate the pan and tilt, independently.

Great idea, now the question is getting the camera connected on your PC to communicate with the arduino in a working program.

USB Hub per-port power switching

http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=305968.0