Turning an RC car left/right

Hey everyone, couple of questions...

So I intend to make a remote control car over Bluetooth from my tablet using an android app. Just wondering what the best way would be to make the car turn left and right?

Should I have 2 motors - one for the left wheel and one for the right wheel and then control them individually as needed? Or is there a way that I can somehow turn the axle 45~ degrees left or right? Also, what motors (if I need certain ones) should I be using to make the motors go backwards? I remember reading something about reversing currents, but I wasn't 100% sure on that.

Thanks!

Well, doing a simple search will provide you with a number of examples. I would probably start in letsmakerobots.com, they are a site devoted specifically to diy robotics and I know I have seen something similar to what you suggest. As for motor control you are going to want to use some sort of H bridge, just do a search and check them out. And for turning it depends on what you want to do, turning the axel 45º would work as would reversing two motors. The two motors idea would require the front of the car to skid though and isn't the most efficient way to turn, unless you control all 4 wheels kinda like a tank does.

ookid:
Well, doing a simple search will provide you with a number of examples. I would probably start in letsmakerobots.com, they are a site devoted specifically to diy robotics and I know I have seen something similar to what you suggest. As for motor control you are going to want to use some sort of H bridge, just do a search and check them out. And for turning it depends on what you want to do, turning the axel 45º would work as would reversing two motors. The two motors idea would require the front of the car to skid though and isn't the most efficient way to turn, unless you control all 4 wheels kinda like a tank does.

Thanks.

I found this H-bridge motor driver (http://www.australianrobotics.com.au/products/h-bridge-motor-driver-1a)

Is it possible to power a single DC motor back and forward using that H-bridge on the back wheels axle, then turn the front wheel axle using a servo?

pantzmaster:
Just wondering what the best way would be to make the car turn left and right?

Depends entirely how the car you're using was designed to be used. In my experience it's almost universal to use one motor for propulsion and a servo to steer the front wheels, and if your car is designed for that then that's the only sensible solution. If it's designed for skid steering / differential steering with two drive motors then that would be the only sensible option.