Turning touch buttons into physical buttons

I have a monitor (Asus VX229H) that I'm using in a project. It has touch buttons and I would like to make them physical buttons so I can relocated them. I'm not really sure how to go about this so if anyone could shed some light itd be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

pics aren't uploading so I put them here

1 Like

That is a bit tricky, mainly because you don't have a schematic of how the touch sensor is being activated. There are a number of different ways to implement a touch sensor and the best results would be if you bypassed this circuit and made a direct connection to the logic circuit behind the sensor. But to do that you would need a schematic and an oscilloscope along with the skills of how to use them.

Or you can hope that someone has done all the work for you and has posted it on line.

As a bit of a fudge you could arrange some servo motors to touch the sensors on your remote command. You would use a conducting foam pad connected to ground with a wire to simulate a person touching the contacts.

Grumpy_Mike:
That is a bit tricky, mainly because you don’t have a schematic of how the touch sensor is being activated. There are a number of different ways to implement a touch sensor and the best results would be if you bypassed this circuit and made a direct connection to the logic circuit behind the sensor. But to do that you would need a schematic and an oscilloscope along with the skills of how to use them.

Or you can hope that someone has done all the work for you and has posted it on line.

As a bit of a fudge you could arrange some servo motors to touch the sensors on your remote command. You would use a conducting foam pad connected to ground with a wire to simulate a person touching the contacts.

By “ground” are you referring to mains earth?

There is most likely a controller of some kind that’s sensing the pads, and it probably uses I2C or SPI, so there won’t be any logic behind it to connect to.

There’s two ways I can think of to do this, and both of them are pretty advanced in level.

1. If the buttons are all made for self-capacitance sensing, not mutual capacitance, you might be able to cheat the sensor by replacing the pad with a very small capacitor (picofarad level), and having the button switch another very small capacitor in parallel to simulate the increased capacitance of a finger press.

If it’s a mutual capacitance keypad arrangement though, that might be tougher. I’m less certain about how to fake that.

1. If you can find out what chip it’s using and get a good datasheet, replace the sensing chip with a microcontroller that emulates its interface and senses switches instead of capacitive pads.

Basically, these two options are a choice between fooling the hardware or fooling the software.

1 Like