TVout doesn't compile

I'm having a problem with TVout and would really appreciate any help I can get. Using the Arduino Uno and windows 8. I downloaded a few different TVout zip files from Google Code Archive - Long-term storage for Google Code Project Hosting. and am having the same issue with all of them. I'm downloading the zip file and extracting it in my Arduino 'libraries' folder. Then I open Arduino and click on File>Sketchbook>libraries>TVoutbeta1>TVout>DemoNTSC. In Arduino the following taps appear: DemoNTSC, TVOlogo.cpp, TVOlogo.h, schematic.cpp, and schematic.h. The first thing I do is compile it and I get the error 'TVout' does not name a type with the following errors in the box below it:

DemoNTSC:6: error: 'TVout' does not name a type
DemoNTSC.pde: In function 'void setup()':
DemoNTSC:29: error: 'TV' was not declared in this scope
DemoNTSC:29: error: 'NTSC' was not declared in this scope
DemoNTSC:30: error: 'font6x8' was not declared in this scope
DemoNTSC:47: error: 'font4x6' was not declared in this scope
DemoNTSC:51: error: 'font8x8' was not declared in this scope
DemoNTSC:62: error: 'WHITE' was not declared in this scope
DemoNTSC:64: error: 'INVERT' was not declared in this scope
DemoNTSC.pde: In function 'void intro()':
DemoNTSC:142: error: 'TV' was not declared in this scope
DemoNTSC:146: error: 'TV' was not declared in this scope
DemoNTSC:150: error: 'TV' was not declared in this scope
DemoNTSC.pde: In function 'void printcube()':
DemoNTSC:157: error: 'TV' was not declared in this scope
DemoNTSC:160: error: 'TV' was not declared in this scope
DemoNTSC.pde: In function 'void draw_cube()':
DemoNTSC:205: error: 'TV' was not declared in this scope
DemoNTSC:205: error: 'WHITE' was not declared in this scope

I've spent a lot of time looking through forums, youtube, etc... but can't seem to find someone with the same issue. Greatly appreciate your help!

As you have probably figured out already, the compile errors are somehow related to the library.
Did you close all instances of the Arduino IDE that were open at the time you unzipped the library ?

I couldn't remember if I had arduino open at the time I unzipped them last time so I did a couple things. Your answer got me looking because I wasn't sure what IDE was and I also updated the arduino by uninstalling my version and installing version 1.0.5-r2 for Windows. With arduino closed I deleted the files in my library and downloaded the TVoutbeta1 version and extracted it again into my arduino library. Then I opened the new version of arduino and it still does the same thing. Any advise?

I need to know exactly which library you installed and where you got it from so I can try it myself
tonight.

Have a read of this thread, particularly Reply #4 - Trying to use really old library with current Arduino software... - Programming Questions - Arduino Forum

I downloaded TVout Lib and there was no DemoNTSC.pde

Ya no problem...I can't express enough how much I appreciate this! The process I did today was probably more elaborate than necessary but I just wanted to avoid any potential issues I could.
raschemmel-

1. I deleted my Arduino library folders and made sure everything related to Arduino was deleted from my programs and setup folders and uninstalled Arduino then did a shutdown/restart.
  2. Downloaded [arduino-1.0.5-r2-windows.exe] from page [http://arduino.cc/en/Main/Software] for windows 8.1 and saved it in a setup folder in my C drive. Then installed it in [C:>Program Files (x86)]. I opened Arduino and when doing so it created a folder here: [Documents>Arduino>libraries]. Shutdown/restart.
  3. From page [Google Code Archive - Long-term storage for Google Code Project Hosting.] I downloaded [TVoutBeta1.zip] into my [Arduino>libraries] folder.
  4. Following the instructions from [http://arduino.cc/en/Guide/Libraries] I opened Arduino and from the menu bar I selected [Sketch>Import Library>Add Library] and it took me to the [TVoutBeta1.zip]. I opened up my [Arduino>libraries] folder and could see the zip file was extracted. Shutdown/restart.
  5. Open the Arduino program and select [File>Sketchbook>libraries>TVoutBeta1>TVout>DemoNTSC] and the same errors occur when I compile it. I also tried [NTSCserialTerm] and also will not compile.
  6. Then I cleared out my library again and tried downloading [TVout.zip] from the same page [Google Code Archive - Long-term storage for Google Code Project Hosting.]. Extracted it the same way and reopened Arduino and opened TVoutTestR1 from my sketchbook and it compiled but when I uploaded it to the Uno it gives me the error: 'Couldn't find a Leonardo on the selected port. Check that you have the correct port selected. If it is correct, try pressing the board's reset button after initiating the upload.'
  7. So I tried uploading and using the reset button and verified the port in [Device Manager] with [Tools>Serial Port] and both show COM5.

magicj-
I tried your suggestion and same issues occur.

I combined the TVout folder from TVout.zip with the TVout folder from TVoutBeta1.zip and it compiles, uploads and displays on the big screen. Thanks for the help! You definitely got me going in the right direction. As for the final product I need to use the Arduino MICRO because I have 12 analog inputs. Do you know if the Arduino MICRO will also work with the video RCA out?

I’m afraid I don’t have any good news. I didn’t have to download 1.05 IDE because that is already the version I am running.
The reason for that is the posts on the net said that was the only version that would work for the nRF24L01 2.4Ghz radio
modules software examples. Those work with this version. I installed TVOutBeta1 and it compiled with no errors.
Attached is a screenshot of the compiled DemoNTSC.pde program.
Then I deleted the library and unzipped TVout.zip and extracted that.
Then I closed an open IDE and opened TVOutTestR1. and it compiled no errors .
I also uploaded it to an Arduino UNO without problems.
That’s all I can tell you.
(see attached)

I ran in to this also when I started playing with TVout a few days ago. I had installed it incorrectly, and it could not resolve the header files.

I can’t recall the exact fix, but it was a quick and easy one. Check your libraries folder, and see if you have just TVout there with the files inside of it, versus TVout and TVoutfonts. If you have the latter, I believe that is your problem. You basically have TVout/TVout/TVout.h and it won’t resolve with <TVout.h>. I thinkg all I did was move that folder up to Libraries and it worked. Then, when I figures that out, I deleted it, and re-added it from the GUI by browsing to that specific folder (not the top level folder) and that worked.

Hope this helps. I can verify when I get home tonight.

When you struggle with a problem and finally get it working, who's taking notes ?
You're usually breaking out the bottle of champagne or whatever your equivilent of that is...

raschemmel:
When you struggle with a problem and finally get it working, who's taking notes ?
You're usually breaking out the bottle of champagne or whatever your equivilent of that is...

Hear hear! A few years ago, I was trying to figure something out and spent WEEKS searching. When I finally collected the data, I decided to post it on a web page so maybe it would help someone else looking for the info later. I have continued to do that over the past few years. I also notice when people as in forums, sometimes the last reply is "nevermind, I figured it out" with no explanation.

It's a difficult habbit to get in to! Followups are hard :slight_smile:

If I get time, I will delete TVout and try the reinstall again and make a note of what I did to get it working, and post here.

That’s what makes most of Arduino’s forums very productive…when it’s noted what the solution was. I did post the solution to this problem I had a few posts up on Jan 21st. I never did use the MICRO because I used some transistors in my circuitry and am using the MEGA digital inputs instead for 49 of them and it's analog inputs for the remaining 13. The original 12 analog inputs were coming from 61 on/off switches and used voltage dividers to get down to 12 inputs.

I started from scratch with the Arduino the beginning of this year and have learned everything from this forum and some youtube videos. So the help is certainly appreciated, thanks raschemmel!

I also notice when people as in forums, sometimes the last reply is "nevermind, I figured it out" with no explanation.

I hate to say it but sometimes we're lucky to even get a "nevermind"...
That bugs the heck out of me...
I've helped several people by just remembering where the "Here's the fix " links were..