TVout Library - Potential UPDATE

Hell there all user of the TVout library

CODE : https://code.google.com/p/arduino-tvout/

PLAYGROUND : http://playground.arduino.cc/Main/TVout

I have been trying for several months to contact the guy that wrote the original library for this using his gmail account and havent got a reply

I have several new suggestions and improvements for the library, and have seen others commenting on the ISSUES section of the repository

If anyone would like to contribute on here, could you add it here, unless I have missed something on other forum posts

Thanks

Bob

mcnobby: Hell there all user of the TVout library

Is that a typo?

ChilliTronix: Is that a typo?

LMAO, not just one, but two typos !!

Hello there, all users of the TVOUT Library :)

What does the TVOUT library actually do?

Creates a very simple composite TV (PAL or NTSC) signal on a standard arduino (or 168, 328, 1280, 2560, 644 or 1284 based board).

It uses to just 2 resistors from 2 specific data lines to create the video

Audio will also appear on the composite signal if enabled in software

Resolution is quite low and is fully dependant on RAM availability (eg 328's can produce 128x96)

The video signal is only Monochrome, although I have adapted be selectable to one of 16.7 million colours, not just white

Its a good little Library, although over the last few years has not had any support or revision as far as I can see

I see alot of potential for adapting this library into the STM32 range of processors

Regards

Bob

Please go on with the improvements ! You can make a playground page TVout2 and a link in the TVout page to TVout2.

P.S.: Reading the top post, I was wondering : "burn in" or "o" ? :)

Peter_n: Please go on with the improvements ! You can make a playground page TVout2 and a link in the TVout page to TVout2.

I havent done anything on playground yet, can anyone join in ?

P.S.: Reading the top post, I was wondering : "burn in" or "o" ? :)

Ha ha very funny :)

I wonder what could be done on a 1284 or the maple? Sounds interesting!

There are a few libraries out there for Video out, there is a cracking set of projects relating to UZEBOX

http://belogic.com/uzebox/index.asp

Uzebox is basically a ATMEGA644 and a AD725 RGB to PAL/NTSC convertor As you could see from the site, its be designed as a game console with 256 colours and 3 chan sound.. its not a library but I think the core files are available for game writers, not for the faint hearted though

I have seen some other projects involving multiple simultaneous colours, which can be done on the 328/644/1284 but doesnt leave much room for calculation of any shapes outside of the routine that draws the TV picture

essentially, 25 or 30 times a second the picture is updated and the core/time required to do this takes up a large proportion of the processor time. There are small opportunities to do 'outside' calculations, the main one being on VSync Flyback, and a tiny bit of time after each line is drawn before the next is started

I have been thinking seriously about creating a video library for the MapleDuino (128k version)

I reckon at least 8 simultaneous colours could be created on a 256*128 res screen, its always a trade off of res against colours when the limiting factor is RAM of which the Mapleduino has 20k

If creating monochrome : 400 * 300 = 120,000 pixels, or 15,000 bytes of Ram If creating eight colour : 256*128 = 32,768 pixels, or 4096 bytes of ram/RGB colour, 4096*3 = 12,288 bytes

I also think there would be plenty of processor overhead to be able to stitch in some pretty good 32-bit graphics handling and some external comms too

Curious... Looks like a lot of work! :)

The AtMega1284 has 16k of Ram, which is pretty handy for creating a 256*128*8 colour screen, I just wonder if it is possible to decode the RGB format on the fly for each line running at 16mHz

I have been using 32mHz on a 128*96*1 colour mainly to increase the useful quiet-time of the processor

Some information regarding how to adapt TVout to provide colour

http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=216136.0;

The changes are in hardware, I just added one cmos/ttl chip and some res/caps and sent the signal out via a VGA connector rather than the composite (phono type plug) signal that is currently being used for TVout

I hope someone else tries this, it works and is pretty awesome !

I used 3 PWMs on the UNO to drive 3 separate 100R & 10uf charge pumps, one for red/green/blue respectively. The resultant voltage levels of these charge pumps was fed into one side of a 4066 transmission gate (3 needed, although there are 4 in the chip). The gate of the 4066 is driven by the raw TV signal derived from pin 13. Each of the outputs of the transmission gates feed the VGA signal (R/G/B) via 470R resistors. The VGA needs to have a composite sync made up of both H & V syncs, this comes from UNO pin 15 via a 1k resistor into the VGA connector. Dont forget to connect the correct GND signals on the VGA connector.

See attached circuit for more information

The PWMs can be driven as normal to give the correct R/G/B out put on the screen

The downside of this is that the TV can only output ONE colour at a time, but I think you will find this is better than just white all the time. The possibilities of this will give you 24bit colour !!!

Hmm... I don't have all the parts but I may get some.

Looks like I am going to make a major rewrite of my TVout to include colour, created in two different ways

(1) up to 12 colours on screen at once (2) split screen colour based on 24bit colour format

After working on smaller chips with baby timers and little ram (i.e ATTINY13a) and still able to get working colour video out, I am sure I can do a pretty good job for the 328/1284

Also I am working on RGB-to-composite conversion using the AD725 chip, this way I can run the output into a standard TV (up till now I have been using the VGA input on projectors, but I think this is more luck than judgment !!

I am revisiting this project for a private application, although I will rewrite the library to suit 8 colours simultaneously at 128*96

Still usable for the 8 bit series, but obviously wont be 8 colours mapped for 128*96 as there isnt enough ram There is still potential ram to have some fun with a STM32 which could probably manage 256*192 in 8 colours quite easily with 20k ram

Anyway, I have a nice stock of AD725 now, so I am going to replan my original 24bit colour version to reduce to 8 colour but with a 256 step brightness

I still never got to the bottom of the full VGA version, so what I had was just RGB running a projector via the VGA socket which worked fine, but now I am going to simplify back to just a single Composite (phono) output

HERE is where I currently up to, and is perfectly usable

Bob