Twitching servos in my project

I'm experiencing pretty severe servo twitching in my project. I've done a lot of research on this issue, but I can't find exactly what I need to try to attempt to stop this.

Notes/Ideas:

• The voltage in my 'bucks' is set to 5V, but does fluctuate some (+- 0.07V). This is noticeable when checking the voltage PAST my 470uF capacitors, directly where the servo connects.
  • Per research, I've played with adding a delay in my loop and around the write calls, a delay of 100 in my loop does appear to lessen the twitching. Granted, I have kept / tested 20ms+ delays around the servo write calls. I'd like to avoid the delays as I'm using up a finite state machine. Using a state machine to delay writes did not seem to help it. Am I correct in thinking this must be more due to the buck / 7.5V 3.2A adapter. Oh and, it is a regulated switching adapter -- I can't really find a good regulated-only adapater anywhere yet. Granted, I've been mainly scouring Amazon for items.
  • Researching, I see mention of using a resistor, but I'm not understanding where or how that would help. Also, I'm not sure I should be looking at the data line or the 5+/Grnd -- I haven't yet grasped how these are 'related'.

Here is my circuit design:

Here is the pertinent code I'm using:

void setup() {
  Serial.begin(9600);
  eye_servo.attach(SERVO_EYE_PIN);
}

void loop() {
  ang = getAngle();
  if(ang != cur_ang) {
  	cur_ang = ang;
	eye_servo.write(ang);
	delay(52);
  }
}

Your pertinent code doesn’t compile.

What is the current capability of your power supply? What is the current capability of the converter you are using. Servos need a LOT of current.

Thanks for the responses!

I’m powering this with a 7.5V 3.2A DC power supply (regulated switching).

The voltage coming out of the bucks is 5V, but, I didn’t check the amps, I will. The buck unit specs are:
Input voltage: 4.5 V to 28 V; Output voltage: 0.8 V to 20 V
Output current: 3 A (maximum); Conversion efficiency: 92% (maximum)
Output ripple: less than 30 mV; Switching frequency: 1.5 MHz (highest), typically 1 MHz

Below is compilable code:

#include <Servo.h>
#define SERVO_EYE_PIN 9

Servo eye_servo;
int max_ang = 160;
int min_ang = 20;
int ang = 20;
int cur_ang = 20;
unsigned int tick = 1000;
unsigned long tmr;

void setup() {
  Serial.begin(9600);
  eye_servo.attach(SERVO_EYE_PIN);
  tmr = millis();
}

void loop() {

if(getAngle() != cur_ang) {
    cur_ang = ang;
    eye_servo.write(cur_ang);
    delay(52);
  }
}  

int getAngle() {

if (millis() >= tmr) {
    tmr += tick;
    ang += 5;
    if(ang > max_ang) {
      ang = min_ang;
    }
  } 
  return ang;
}

Each buck converter must be able to handle the stall current of the servo, and the power supply must be able to handle the total. What are those values?

A google search for “mg905” fails.

This is buck converter I'm using:

These are the two servos I'm using:
Small servo (MG90S)

Larger servo (HS-485HB)

I'll have an amperage reading in about an hour, but I have a question about that process to ensure I provide proper data: Is this correct: I'll power the entire circuit, but I'll add my multimeter clips inline with the 5V line going from the buck to one of my servos. I'll put the servos through some motion and get a max/min amp reading hopefully. I'll then power it down, reconnect servo A and then run the multimeter inline with servo 2, power it up and get min/max readings there too.

I'll put the servos through some motion and get a max/min amp reading hopefully.

That won't give you the maximum unless the servo is stalled completely.

DC motors briefly draw the stall current every time they start up.

I did test the amps being used... but, how do I know if not enough current is getting through the buck?

I just tested at 3 places in my circuit — I did try stalling the large servo to attempt to get it to draw more amps.

Multimeter in this position, inline with the larger servo, I had a max reading of 362mA

Multimeter inline with the smaller servo, I had a max reading of 48mA

With the multimeter inline with the powser going to the arduino, I had a max reading of 47mA

I transposed the mA on the arduino, the arduino is pulling ~74mA — this doesn't seem like a lot knowing the two LEDs (granted, they're at half brightness, but all RGB are used) and the proximity sensor is running on the arduino 5V line.

One additional test: I checked the current between going directly into the overall circuit and it maxes out at about ~800mA.

Hmm, I wonder if this is a problem with the other periperals/libraries I'm using?

I noticed this on the Arduino Servo library page:

...use of the library disables analogWrite() (PWM) functionality on pins 9 and 10, whether or not there is a Servo on those pins.

And may test this PWM servo library later as well:

PWMServo uses PWM signals for immunity to interrupts, which can corrupt the signals generated by the standard Servo library. SoftwareSerial, Adafruit_NeoPixel and DmxSimple are the most common cause of these problems. PWMServo allows use of servo motors when these or other interrupt blocking libraries are required.

Appreciate any feedback - thank you.

I’d bet on servo signal return.

bluejets:
I'd bet on servo signal return.

Could you elaborate on a this a little bit? Thank you!

In my experience, servo jitter happens when:

A) You forget to connect the negative side of the servo power supply to Arduino Ground.
or
B) You use a library like SoftwareSerial() that often disables interrupts for more than a microsecond.

Thank you for chiming in everyone.

Turns out it was a conflict with the Servo library and the Adafruit_NeoPixel library or maybe along with a combination of the pins/circuit.
I resolved this, or maybe just mitigated the issue by using this PWMServo library.

If I revisit this issue to dig deeper, I'll post findings.

Hi,
Is this thread associated with this thread?

Tom... :slight_smile:

TomGeorge:
Hi,
Is this thread associated with this thread?

Looking for circuit design feedback (UNO, Two Servos, Proximity Sensor and LEDs) - Project Guidance - Arduino Forum

Tom... :slight_smile:

You are correct, this is part of that other post — figured since this was 'software' vs. hardware it warranted a separate post.