Two Arduino Uno's: How to program one and listen to the other's serial?

Is this possible or am I asking too much?

I want to be able to have two Arduino's connected to my laptop at the one time. One with a 433MHzTx and the other with a 433MHzRx connected to the second one. I want to be able to choose which one I program and which one I can listen to with the Serial debug display. They trigger different Ports when plugged in eg 16 and 13 and would appear to have different "addresses". I want to develop the Tx program and check it with the RxArduino which already has a Manchester decoder program working on it (proven by the weather station reception 100%). So I want to develop the new Tx program, and be able to listen to the Rx via the serial debug to monitor my success or otherwise. However when I connect the two Arduino's the Serial Monitor just seems to go dead.

The IDE seems to only be able to have one Port active no matter how many instances of the the IDE I have up.

Is this possible or is there a fundamental problem with the USB drivers that they can't separate the two programs and their respective Ardunio boards? It is frustrating to be swapping the two boards over and over each time I have a fresh idea to try out! ie about every 30 Seconds (haha).

Cheers and thanks for reading and considering assistance.

Rob

It is possible.

Connect both.

Select in the IDE the board and the serial port. You can use the serial monitor and upload sketched.
For the other one, select that board and that serial port. The serial monitor is now for the other one.

If you would like a serial monitor on the first one, while the Arduino IDE is working with the second one, you need an extra serial terminal program.

I use Q Serial Termial for that.

Others use other programs, there are a few nice programs like that.

It is confusing, so I label the boards to indicate how I use it and with which serial port.

There is also a Arduino IDE fork, that is capable to run with multiple boards.

If you would like a serial monitor on the first one, while the Arduino IDE is working with the second one, you need an extra serial terminal program.

I don't see how that is necessarily true. You should be able to open the serial monitor for any IDEs as long as the serial monitors are operating on different com ports.

At this moment, when several Arduino IDE windows are open, the board and serial port are set for all.

You can open separate instances of the IDE and choose different serial ports for each instance.

Erdin:
At this moment, when several Arduino IDE windows are open, the board and serial port are set for all.

As best as I remember, I've had my arduino and a mega connected to my pc at the same time, with an IDE open for the arduino and an IDE open for the mega. Each USB connection had a different com port number, one of which was used with the arduino, and the other with the mega.

robwlakes:
The IDE seems to only be able to have one Port active no matter how many instances of the the IDE I have up.

You need to launch two separate instances of the IDE, not just open multiple sketch windows. When you run multiple instances you can configure each instance to use a different COM port and access them independently.

Well I tried Erdin's advice and it has got me up and working as I wished.

A few months ago I was keen to see what I could read the Arduino serial output into. So I set up the MS Hyperterminal and it all worked fine. (This was in preparation to reading the Arduino's serial port through Python on Ubuntu, which has subsequently been very successful). So this morning I connected/loaded the Rx Arduino+program and pointed Hyperterminal to it and showed the serial output just fine. Then I connected/loaded the Tx Arduino + program, and sure enough, I could program Tx while watching the serial output from the Rx Arduino. Nice!!

I was surprised with Java involved that I could not previously get the IDE to work as isolated instances of programs not interfering with each the other program (threads?) seemed to be a strength. I am using a version of XP (as up to date as it can be :cold_sweat:) and don't experience any other problems. The other replies appear logical and what I would have expected, but I have since determined that if the port is chosen for one IDE it changes for all of them. So as soon as I go to the Tx program say on Port 16, that is what the serial port listens to, even if I have previously set the instance of the IDE program window with the Rx to Port 13. I end up listening to the serial from the Tx.

Late news...... ignore most of the above....

I think PeterH explains it best, I must run the IDE twice from the start, ie create instances of the IDE, not just separate instances of sketches within one IDE. I will run with that one.

Thanks for the assistance

PeterH:
You need to launch two separate instances of the IDE, not just open multiple sketch windows. When you run multiple instances you can configure each instance to use a different COM port and access them independently.

Thanks PeterH !
I had 5 Arduino IDE windows open, so starting a new instance got me confused. It is working now.