Two Arduinos Communicating through Bluetooth

Hey everyone,

So I am completely new to the world of Arduino and am currently in a class that is "requiring" this technology through a semester long group project. I did some searching on both google/this forum and couldn't find a concrete answer to my questions so I figured I'd take a shot at asking all of you infinitely more knowledgable people (I'm sorry in advance if I'm breaking any forum rules by asking some fairly basic questions). I know very very little about the details behind various pieces of technology (I'm a bit out of my realm), so I would appreciate any help that you are willing to share.

So our goal as a group is for two independent Arduinos to communicate with each other through some type of wireless technology, whether that be bluetooth, RFID, or something else, and to send informational data (text-based messages/numbers) from one to the other when in close proximity (and vice versa simultaneously). We have Arduinos, we understand the basics as a group, but after doing some research on bluetooth/wireless technology, I'm a bit confused as to what is exactly needed to accomplish this (assuming it's possible)? A lot of the information I was finding was focused on communicating between one Arduino and a computer/app, which could be useful to us as the project develops, but at the moment we are focused on Arduino to Arduino communication without an attached computer.

So is this feasible? If so, what exactly would we need to accomplish this? If not, is there alternative technologies that you could point us towards? We have a fixed budget and are in a good place right now, but we don't need to be buying the wrong parts from a simple lack of understanding. Again, sorry for the relatively simple questions but a clear, straightforward explanation would be incredibly appreciated!

Thanks

geoooffreyyy: So our goal as a group is for two independent Arduinos to communicate with each other through some type of wireless technology, whether that be bluetooth, RFID, or something else, and to send informational data (text-based messages/numbers) from one to the other when in close proximity (and vice versa simultaneously).

So is this feasible?

Yes.

I think doing it by bluetooth is the least common way and there are several reasons including.

1. Most or many Arduino users want more than two, which considerable magnifies the problem.

2. Other radio methods offer greater range

3. Other methods are usually cheaper.

There is plenty of information around here about using NRF24, and I think that is the obvious place to look. In the meantime, here is the only comprehensive stuff on bluetooth that I know of.

http://phillipecantin.blogspot.com.au/2012/01/arduino-bluetooth-link.html

I think Bluetooth is basically a wireless serial interface, so get the two arduinos talking using wired serial connections, then add Bluetooth. Below are previous forum wireless discussions for your study.

https://www.google.com/search?as_q=wireless&as_epq=&as_oq=&as_eq=&as_nlo=&as_nhi=&lr=&cr=&as_qdr=all&as_sitesearch=http%3A%2F%2Fforum.arduino.cc%2Findex&as_occt=any&safe=images&tbs=&as_filetype=&as_rights=