Two Problems!

Several years ago I bought an Ardunio UNO used. It was either broke or I broke it.

I am an experianced ATmeaga programmer.

I was able to download the programming files for the two chips on the UNO. But due to a hard disk failure I have lost them. I need to find these files.

The second problem id the Arduinl IDE. I don't want to use the ON-LINE IDE. I want the IDE that runs on my computer.. I am experianed withe the Atmel IDE and would probably prefer to use it.

But I need the Arduino part the allows me to upload the programs to the UNO board.

Can anyone help me?

Bob Macklin
Seattle, Wa.

(deleted)

You can download the IDE from the software.

Not quite sure what you mean by the programming files for the chips. Maybe the bootloader for the 328 and the firmware for the 16U2? A little outside my area of expertise, the first one is called optiboot, not sure about the second one.

Select "Windows ZIP file for non admin install "
Unzip into C:\Arduino-1.8.3 & run Arduino.exe

Might have to remove some restrictions on creating files so the IDE can create folders and put your sketches into them.
Maybe running the Windows Installer version fixes that.

To refresh the firmware on the ATmega16u2 part of the Arduino:

Notes:
Change "-cusbasp" to match your ISP device.
Change "-pm16u2" if your board has the older m8u2.

Change Directory to the Arduino "hardware" directory.

On Windows it is something like:
cd "C:\Program Files (x86)\arduino-1.6.13\hardware"

On a Mac it is something like:
cd "/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/hardware/"

// MEGA update 16u2
tools/avr/bin/avrdude -Ctools/avr/etc/avrdude.conf -pm16u2 -Pusb -cusbasp -Uflash:w:arduino/firmwares/atmegaxxu2/arduino-usbdfu/MEGA-dfu_and_usbserial_combined.hex -Ulfuse:w:0xFF:m -Uhfuse:w:0xD9:m -Uefuse:w:0xF4:m -Ulock:w:0x0F:m

// UNO update 16u2
tools/avr/bin/avrdude -Ctools/avr/etc/avrdude.conf -pm16u2 -Pusb -cusbasp -Uflash:w:arduino/firmwares/atmegaxxu2/arduino-usbdfu/UNO-dfu_and_usbserial_combined.hex -Ulfuse:w:0xFF:m -Uhfuse:w:0xD9:m -Uefuse:w:0xF4:m -Ulock:w:0x0F:m