Two way binding slider

Hello everyone!

I'm thinking about creating my first arduino 8) project, and I have a question for you. I need to know if the component I want exists in the market, or I would have to build it myself.

Basically I want a slider like in the image bellow (shape and size may differ), but two-way binding, this is only one-way binding (yeah, I'm using javascript/dom language). What I mean is that it should not only output the input provided by the user, but also receive instructions where to move. A good proof of concept would be to be able to sync two sliders to the same position while only moving one manually.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

A good proof of concept would be to be able to sync two sliders to the same position while only moving one manually.

For what purpose? You can get digital potentiometers that you can control from the Arduino, changing the resistance value on the output side, where you would connect a light or speaker or whatever you want to change the volume/light level of.

The simplest solution that I can think of is to have virtual sliders on a PC (or tablet) screen - but that is almost entirely outside the scope of an Arduino. Perhaps the PC could send data to the Arduino to alter a digital potentiometer.

If you insist on a mechanical system I think there will be a big problem getting bi-modal activation - i.e the machine can move the control and also a human hand.

I suspect a bi-mode rotary control would be easier to build than a linear one. One thought is to use a rotary encoder that is also connected to a small DC motor. However getting an accurate position from a DC motor would be challenge unless it has very low gearing. But the low gearing might make it too difficult for the human to turn it. Maybe a small stepper motor could be used.

In my concept the “knob” would not actually change the resistance - it would just send a signal to the Arduino which would, as before, alter a digital potentiometer.

Back in the day I had a Sony 3 in 1 music system in which the remote control operated a small motor to cause the volume knob to rotate. But that had no requirement to synchronize the position with another knob.

…R

Take a look at this motorized potentiometer. Can read the position of 1 and control another to match

Thanks @PaulS, @Robin2 and @CrossRoads, you've given me a great starting point :slight_smile:

I'm learning everything almost from scratch in this space (including the vocabulary), so I guess I'll be coming back with more questions once I understand everything you told me, and investigate some more on my own.

Thanks again!

Professional audio consoles use these for mixdown. The motor is a linear one. Nifty - but not cheap

Penny and Giles used to make them

regards

Allan