TX, Rx

Hi Can any help tx and rx on stand alone atmega 2560 with no boot loader, I tried using software serial and setting tx, rx to DO, D1. ran Example program analog read serial, open terminal window in atmel studio 7, no readings with ftdi cable. any advice or links im missing

Thank you

Why would you use software serial? You have 4 wonderful hardware serial ports to use.

Just do Serial.begin(baudrate) in setup, Serial.print/etc in the sketch, connect FTDI adapter's TX, RX, and Gnd pins to RX, TX, and Gnd on the '2560. Pins 0 and 1 (or 1 and 0 - I don't remember off the top of my head which is which).

Make sure you have set the fuses on the ATMega2560 correctly to use the clock source you want, and that you're compiling for the correct clock speed - otherwise, the baud rate will be off and you'll get nothing but garbage.

Fuses are set only when doing "burn bootloader" through the IDE, not when uploading a sketch.

Note also that on the ATmega2560, you can't just do burn bootloader, then upload a sketch via ISP to blow away the bootloader, and expect it to work. You also need to unset BOOTRST fuse (on the '328p, you can get away with not doing that, unless your sketch is big enough to touch the last part of the flash (last 2048 bytes or last 512, depending on which BOOTSZ fuses are set, which is different between uno/nano/promini) because it wraps around, but it doesn't wrap around on the 2560, because of the way the larger address space of the 2560 is handled)

Thank you . Im using atmel studio 7 and atmel ice to program stand alone board.

Im going to try now,

Thank you

Hi im not sure on how to set the fuses, is there a ref to do this to enable

Thanks