U-blox NEO-6 - standby mode

Hello,
I am making a car tracking device. I need to lower a power consumption as much as possible. I need GPS location immediately after a car starts to move. But GPS is consuming enormous power. Is there a way to turn off a position calculation when the car is not moving and keep only almanac downloading? Or something like this? My goal is to keep the device on a battery for about a month or two while the car is not moving (for example in winter).

Many thanks :o

Always a good idea to include as much detail as you know of your project, for instance a critical bit of information ommitted is what is the capacity of the 'battery' and we have no idea what 'enormous power' means.

You know the position of the vehicle as soon as its starts to move anyway, its the last position you recorded before the GPS was put to sleep.

Its the receiver parts of the GPS that consume most of the power so you cannot have that active (and receiving updated almanac data) in low power standby modes.

As for having the GPS being active within a couple of seconds of moving, it's not going to be reliable. You can turn off the GPS for short periods to save power and when you turn it back on again it might 'hot fix' in 2 - 3 seconds or it could take 20 or 30 or 40 seconds.

And the battery that is fitted on a typical Neo6 module (you provided no details of your actual module) will only last 10 days or so in hot fixx mode anyway.

A typical Neo6M breakout board is very power hungry to start with, 70mA when the GPS is on. You can put the GPS in standby mode (see datasheet for details) and current consumption drops to circa 6mA until you wake it up again.

Most all GPS breakout boards are just not designed for extended operation from small batteries (AA alkalines for instance).

Thank you for your replies. My tracker is connected directly to a car 12V battery with a DC-DC buck converter set to 5V. I like the idea to turn the GPS off for about 15 minutes when the car is not moving and after the GPS will get fix I will turn it off again. Do you think it is a good idea? Auto battery can currently supply the power for about 5 days. Will this modification extend life time for about a month? Will the GPS get fixes quickly?
Thanks a lot :slight_smile:

Rather than asking people to work it out for you, get into the habit of doing the sums yourself.

A typical car battery may be 60-80Ahr, meaning it can supply 60 Amps for one hour or 6 Amps for 10 hours etc.

Car batteries do not much like deep discharging, so maybe plan for a project consuming no more that 25% of the car batteries capacity.

If the GPS consumes 70mAhr (70mA per hour) how long will it take to use 25% of the car batteries capacity ?

:smiley: Thank you, but you did not reply to my most important question: Will the GPS get fixes quickly? Without it I can't calculate how much power it will consume while getting fix. Unfortunately I can't test it on my own right now.

Thank you, but you did not reply to my most important question: Will the GPS get fixes quickly?

It might and it might not, it depends on the exact GPS antenna, where it is located, its view of the sky and how long its been in backup mode. A hot fix might take 2 seconds or 30, it depends.

Without it I can't calculate how much power it will consume while getting fix. Unfortunately I can't test it on my own right now.

Then you will need to wait and check it yourself, the forum cannot test your GPS for you.