UART serial converter?

Hi all,

Very new to arduino - to be honest I brought a device in the winter and haven't had time to learn much about it yet. I need to connect to a router via TTL UART serial in order to reprogram it but don't have a USB -> UART serial adapter to hand. I had read that the arduino can be used to do this (bridge the Reset pin to GND and use the S0 RX/TX pins). I tried this but get garbage in the terminal so assum this is operating as RS232 serial.

Is it possible to use the Arduino as an RS232 -> UART converter, essentially using one of it's serial ports as a TTL UART interface connected to my router and relaying compands to/from the PC via it's USB connection?

I think the answer is probably no as I couldn't find any reference of someone doing this on Google and if someone had I'd expect there to be quite a bit of info around as lots of people would find this useful.

Thought it would be worth asking here before I go and order a USB -> TTL UART adaptor. The solution may be so obvious that nobody has bothered documenting it!

Thanks,

JBF

So to answer my own question:

void setup()  
{
 // Open serial communications to PC and wait for port to open:
  Serial.begin(115200);

Serial.println("Connected to PC");

// set the data rate for Serial1 port
  Serial1.begin(115200);
}

void loop() // run over and over