UART

Is there a possibility to give commands through the UART inputs on the Arduino Mega, from a touchscreen, to make the sketch run. If yes, how do I have to do this. Do I need a seperate program for this ?

I want to make a distance controlled device which can operate with the Arduino Mega to make the sketches run. Command input will be on a touchscreen, while the Arduino recieves the command, and execute it.

I have barely experience in working with Arduino, and so dus my colleges whom I am working with. By this forum we would to find out what the possibilities and impossibillities are in working with the Arduino boards. Thanks to the open source we can find a lot of sketches to work with. But our main problem is the distant communication. I hope someone can help us to solve this problem.

By the way, Arduinoclub is not a whole bunch of people, just 3 persons working on 1 idea.

Hi,

First of all, what distance are you talking about 100mm or 10m or 100m + ?

You cannot run a touch screen directly from the USART lines if that is what you mean ?

Most touch screens need lots of i/o lines on an Arduino Mega2560 to operate.

The idea of sending a local or remote signal to the Arduino to select what sub program to run will work, if it has been programmed correctly with several small sub programs.

eg the main loop will constanlty poll the input lines, (whatever you use ) and when a number 1 - 5 is sent then it will select and run whatever subprogram you coded in.

The distance between the touchscreen and the Arduino is less than 6 meters/ 20 ft. The idea is, that when someone touches an command on the touchscreen, the Arduino recieves the command, and execute the sketch which is bound on the command. I have read that the Arduino Mega has 4 UART connection points. So this must be enough for a couple of (combined) sketches. Some persons say that we must programm with " processing" to get a command line from a touch screen to the arduino. Or use Nextion monitors, which should work perfectly with an Arduino. But the Nextion monitor is too small for our project (7"). We must use a 21" - 24" touchscreen. And because of our lack of programmingskills, we need an easy way to solve our problem.

Arduinoclub: The idea is, that when someone touches an command on the touchscreen, the Arduino recieves the command, and execute the sketch which is bound on the command.

A Mega can certainly receive commands over any of its serial inputs and can act on the command.

But the first question is "Can your touchscreen create serial commands?" - post a link to the datasheet for the touchscreen.

...R