Ubunto avrdude problems

Recently switched from Windows to Ubuntu 10.04 LTS (disclaimer: absolute linux newb). I have two Duemilanoves. One I can upload sketches and use serial monitor, no problems. The other I get an error:

avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding

and cannot use serial monitor (however loop back test works). If I use $lsusb when each board is plugged in, one at a time, the terminal shows

Bus 004 Device 002: ID 0403:6001 Future Technology Devices International, Ltd FT232 USB- Serial (UART) IC

with, of course different device numbers. Each board uses (is assigned to) the same port every time: /dev/ttyUSB0. In Windows each was assigned a different com port, as I don't know linux, I don't know if that is important.

Any thoughts?

First of all, you both boards works on Windows?

If not, try to burn the bootloader again.

http://arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/ArduinoToBreadboard

Best regards,

Willian Paixao.

Well I got it working. During this process I had swapped out the Atmega328 with another stand alone 328, that I had running in another project, to test the board, neither chips worked on linux. I tried the "bad" board on Windows and noticed the chip was loose. Fixed it and tried the bad board with both chips in linux and so far no problems.

I don't want to believe that it was my chip switching, in the past and during my linux move, that caused the problem, so I'm giving credit to willianpaixao's magical reply.

thanks! :blush: