Ubuntu 10.10 sketch not uploading

This is the error...

Binary sketch size: 896 bytes (of a 14336 byte maximum)
/usr/share/arduino/hardware/tools/avrdude -C/usr/share/arduino/hardware/tools/avrdude.conf -v -v -v -v -patmega168 -carduino -P/dev/ttyS0 -b19200 -D -Uflash:w:/tmp/build1313769055011275312.tmp/Blink.cpp.hex:i 

avrdude: Version 5.10, compiled on Jun 29 2010 at 03:44:14
         Copyright (c) 2000-2005 Brian Dean, http://www.bdmicro.com/
         Copyright (c) 2007-2009 Joerg Wunsch

System wide configuration file is "/usr/share/arduino/hardware/tools/avrdude.conf"
         User configuration file is "/home/josiah/.avrduderc"
         User configuration file does not exist or is not a regular file, skipping

Using Port                    : /dev/ttyS0
         Using Programmer              : arduino
         Overriding Baud Rate          : 19200
avrdude: Send: 0 [30]   [20] 
avrdude: ser_recv(): programmer is not responding
avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding

avrdude done.  Thank you.

can some one please help me. I'm new to this.

From this...

Using Programmer : arduino Overriding Baud Rate : 19200

...I'm going to guess that you are trying to use an Arduino as an in-circuit serial programmer.

From this...

avrdude: ser_recv(): programmer is not responding avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding

...I can deduce that the Arduino is not responding. So, I'm going to go with ... you forgot to upload the Arduino ISP Sketch.

first, it gave me the same error. second, i'm a total noob and this looks important. What was it supposed to do?

Which board are you using?

nano v3.0

In the Arduino IDE, click Tools then Board then Arduino Duemilanove or Nano w/ ATmega328. Does that help?

That's what it is already set too.

Just ran in interesting experiment and found out that it gives me the exact same error if the board isn't even plugged in.

Binary sketch size: 896 bytes (of a 14336 byte maximum)

…indicates a board with a ATmega168 processor is selected. The Nano 3.0 has an ATmega328 processor.

/usr/share/arduino/hardware/tools/avrdude -C/usr/share/arduino/hardware/tools/avrdude.conf -v -v -v -v -patmega168

…ditto.

-carduino

…is not the correct programmer for a Nano.

-P/dev/ttyS0 -b19200

…is not the correct baud rate for a Nano.

Select a different board then reselect Arduino Duemilanove or Nano w/ ATmega328.

Also, do you have the right serial port selected? Maybe try /dev/ttyUSB0 if it's available.