Ubuntu laptop suddenly does not recognize arduino (mega) anymore

Hello people, i run into something very strange today.

My arduino mega cannot be seen by my ubuntu laptop. Nothing in serial port when i connect it with the standard usb cable (tried to different ones just in case). :frowning:

lsusb does not see it as it used to.
dmesg does not return anything different when i plug it and when i unplug it. It just "vanished"! :confused:

It is a fully functional arduino, since when turned on does what it's supposed to and more strangely enough, when i use a usb to ttl converter, to connect to it (Serial1 that is being used is fully functional apparently) i can see the serial port in the IDE, as well as the converter when i lsusb.
I won't have another arduino to try connecting to it instead and see what happens until tomorrow.
Any clues on what could be going wrong here?

Apparently that particular arduino mega does not get recognized in other computers either, while other arduinos work normally on mine.

Considering that it works as it should and actually communicates through Serial1 fine, what do you think could be the problem?!
Serial0 and or the usb connector fried?! (i haven't done anything in particular to cause such damage)

from the symptoms you mentioned,your guess seems to be correct.Did you try with a different cable?

How were you powering the Mega when the fail occurred? Were you powering it with the 5v bus? Powering the Mega with the 5v bus and the USB at the same time can cause that fail.

saravananm92:
from the symptoms you mentioned,your guess seems to be correct.Did you try with a different cable?

yeap, 2-3 different ones. I really hope that i'm wrong, otherwise its usefulness becomes really limited. :confused:

SurferTim:
How were you powering the Mega when the fail occurred? Were you powering it with the 5v bus? Powering the Mega with the 5v bus and the USB at the same time can cause that fail.

well, i'm not sure when the damage (?) occurred exactly, but usually i was powering it through a 9v battery. When i realized the fault, i think i was just connected to it through usb. :confused: