UECIDE

If you're a linux person like me, You won't help but appreciate UECIDE if you have to resort to an ide. http://uecide.org/

heggood: If you're a linux person like me, You won't help but appreciate UECIDE if you have to resort to an ide. http://uecide.org/

I am Linux. I hate IDE.

Jesse

I am Linux. I hate IDE.

Me too. I am a command line kinda guy. Make and Vi is the best one could hope for in software development from my point ov view. I'm an old Bell System person brought up under Unix and doing Linux since it came out on floppy disk. The only reason I consider IDE is that I haven't yet figured out how to capture the output of the process from the IDE to put together a makefile from it. It would be nice if someone would post a simple one just for the Blink. I've investigated some of the things people have put together on make for the arduino for makefiles, but so far I've seen nothing that is not too convoluted to adopt. If I saw one for just a simple compile and upload, I could take it from there!

heggood: Me too. I am a command line kinda guy. Make and Vi is the best one could hope for in software development from my point ov view. I'm an old Bell System person brought up under Unix and doing Linux since it came out on floppy disk. The only reason I consider IDE is that I haven't yet figured out how to capture the output of the process from the IDE to put together a makefile from it. It would be nice if someone would post a simple one just for the Blink. I've investigated some of the things people have put together on make for the arduino for makefiles, but so far I've seen nothing that is not too convoluted to adopt. If I saw one for just a simple compile and upload, I could take it from there!

There was a time when IDE (strangely enough all the commercial ones) were well documented as to the process that made the IDE function. The unfortunate side effect of Open Source IDEs, like Eclipse is it is teaching the younger programmers to be lazy - in a bad way.

Jesse

jessemonroy650: The unfortunate side effect of Open Source IDEs, like Eclipse is it is teaching the younger programmers to be lazy - in a bad way.

Man, how true that is. I remember when C was taught to upcoming IT students. Now they focus on java. Heavens to Mergatroid!

BTW Jessie, Do you happen to have a bare makefile that compiles and uploads arduino code?

heggood: BTW Jessie, Do you happen to have a bare makefile that compiles and uploads arduino code?

Not yet.

BTW, it's Jesse, the feminine versions are Jessie, and Jessy. No insult taken.

Jesse

I hate IDEs as much as anyone. In fact, UECIDE was entirely written using vi.

I wrote it purely because the Arduino IDE is so terrible and manually compiling code for MCUs, especially with the Arduino library system, really sucks big time.

So I had to do something about it, to whit: make an IDE that I found tolerable - fast, easy, and can also be used along side vi if you want to.

I even made it able to compile direct from the command line so you don't have to use the GUI at all ;) Just run "uecide --help" for a list of options, including "--headless" to do away with the GUI, "--compile" to compile a sketch, and "--upload" to upload it to a board.

And yes, you can wrap that in a makefile if you wish. Here's one you can just drop into your sketch folder:

BOARD=uno
PORT=/dev/ttyACM0
SKETCH=$(shell pwd)

install:
    @uecide --upload --port=$(PORT) --board=$(BOARD) --headless $(SKETCH)

majenkotech: I even made it able to compile direct from the command line so you don't have to use the GUI at all ;) Just run "uecide --help" for a list of options, including "--headless" to do away with the GUI, "--compile" to compile a sketch, and "--upload" to upload it to a board.

And yes, you can wrap that in a makefile if you wish. Here's one you can just drop into your sketch folder:

Many thanks!