Ugh - rectangular tabs in Firefox 57.0

Just upgraded to Firefox 57.0 and I DO NOT LIKE the rectangular tabs.

...R

Problem solved ....

I have reverted to Firefox 56.0 because 57.0 does not support the UNMHT add on and I have dozens or hundreds of MHT files.

Crap!

...R

Why don't you like the rectangular tabs? Rectangles are the most space efficient way to fit things on a screen. Firefox originally had rectangular tabs, then they did a major UI change a year or two ago that essentially was trying to copy Chrome, including the stupid "pretty" tab shape. I almost abandoned Firefox over that but luckily someone wrote an add-on that allowed you to get the old UI design back.

I'm not too happy about the changes in 57 but the tabs is about the only thing I do like. It's really frustrating to me how these programs like to force a complete UI change on their users just because some jackass thinks it's an improvement (usually purely for aesthetics). It's fine if they want to offer more options but it needs to be optional. I had my browsers extensively customized and now that's all lost because most of my add-ons are not compatible and quite a few of the authors have stated they have no intention/ability to make them compatible. Sometimes there is no choice but to break compatibilities to move forward so I do understand that but there's just no good reason for the forced UI changes.

I'm thinking of switching back to Opera - it seems to have been brought up to date. Or maybe even Chrome.

Of course Opera has rectangular tabs :slight_smile: But it seems faster.

On the few occasions that I need it I like the Firefox debugging tools.

Maybe the answer is to use different browsers for different things.

...R

It gets worse.

Opera and Chrome appear to open the MHT files but the active content doesn't work. I have saved pages from the UK Met Office with weather forecasts and they use javascript to select different days within a week and different forecast periods. But I can only view it all properly in Firefox 56.

I could use Firefox to re-save all the MHT files as "web-page-complete" - but the whole attraction of the MHT format is that everything is in one file rather than a HTML file plus a folder.

[/rant] [/cry with frustration]

...R

Robin2:

I don't like it locking up.

I didn't stay long enough to notice that :slight_smile:

...R

Robin2:

...R

Same opinion, brr... :frowning:
But, as I see they return back the reload, home, back and forward buttons. I used to use Firefox 2 reload theme and I hope it will be available soon.