UK PowerSwitch Tail Alternative

Does anyone know if there is a UK alternative to the PowerSwitch Tail http://powerswitchtail.com/default.aspx

Yeah, remote control plug sockets... Cheap and safe to use - and you can have your arduino some way away from the socket :)

Edit:

Switching capacity: 10A @ 125VAC, 3A @ 250VAC, 5A @ 30VDC, resistive

Looks like it would work fine in the UK (at 3A), just need to chop the plugs off and wire your own UK ones in

mowcius: Looks like it would work fine in the UK (at 3A), just need to chop the plugs off and wire your own UK ones in

Can anyone expand on this comment. Would it be wise etc. I am working with students you see.

How old are your students? Pretty sure all students in the UK are taught how to re-wire a plug in Physics at secondary school.

I would say it's safe enough to get them to do but as the wiring colour scheme will be different (the US don't use brown, blue and yellow-green), you'd possibly be better to do it yourself. You would need somebody trained to check all of the re-wiring before they're to be used and this would likely include PAT testing which would be necessary if you are then going to use the devices in school.

I would check up with the school/college/university about what you're allowed to do - they can be very against people doing anything with voltages above what a desk supply can provide.

Sorry, I meant would they be safe for students to use after the conversion.

For anyone intersted this is the companies position on the situation

The PowerSwitch Tail II will not work in the UK because it is designed for 120 vac mains only. We offer the PST IIU-240 kit for use in your country. This is a kit (soldering required) without the power cords. To adapt it for the UK, purchase an extension cord locally and cut to the desirable lengths from the plug side and from the socket side. Then solder wires to the pads on the PCB per the instructions (plug side to " LINE" and socket side to "LOAD"). Seek local help if you do not have the required tools or skills.