Ultrasonic sensor related

Hi, i would like to install a row of ultrasonic sensor (8 ultrasonic sensor next to each other)

The 8 sensors will be facing in the same direction (e.g. +x direction)

In this case, because the ultrasonic sensors are installed next to each other, i am worried about wave destructive interference, hindering the distance measurement readings.

The layout cannot be changed.
Sensors do not need to collect reading simultaneously.

2 Questions!!

1. Do I need to worry about destructive interference between adjacent ultrasonic sensors? (They will be arranged 2cm from each other)

2. How should the ultrasonic sensors be connected to arduino or esp8266 where ultrasonic sensor not being used to collect sensor data to be turned off at that point in time?

Thanks!! Please help!!

1. Do I need to worry about destructive interference between adjacent ultrasonic sensors? (They will be arranged 2cm from each other)

No, but you do need to allow time for the previous echos to die out before triggering the next rangefinder.

1. How should the ultrasonic sensors be connected to arduino or esp8266 where ultrasonic sensor not being used to collect sensor data to be turned off at that point in time?

The NewPing library has a 3 sensor example. That example uses an array of sensors and should be expandable to 8 sensors. In the library examples there is an example using 15 sensors.

No, there is no need to worry as long as only one of the ultrasonic sensors is operational, and the rest are inactive. But the same cannot be said where all of them are operational at the same time

1. How should the ultrasonic sensors be connected to arduino or esp8266 where ultrasonic sensor not being used to collect sensor data to be turned off at that point in time?

Using a multiplexer/demultiplexer combo is an option. All the ultrasonic sensors are connected to the Mux/DeMux combo and only the one sensor that is operational will receive data and all the others will remain inactive. All the Tx pins of the sensors are connected to the DeMux and all the Rx pins are connected to the Mux, thereby ensuring only one sensor is being used to collect data and at the time all the other remaining sensors are OFF.

1. Do I need to worry about destructive interference between adjacent ultrasonic sensors?

If you’re not firing them at the same time, there can’t be any interference.

They typically consume around 2.5mA when not pinging, so I’m not sure I’d worry about turning them off.

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.