Ultrasonic transceiver for Solids in liquid

Dear Arduino Lovers.

My current project involves task to analyze thickness of waste cake inside the oil rotor. For this purpose I am thinking about using Ultrasonic transceiver. As far as I understand I can use it to measure distance which is exactly what i want. Can this sensor be applied to analyze waste cake (sludge) placement inside rotor ?

I attached my quick idea below.
Any suggestions and comments will be appreciated.
Thanks.

Which exact ultrasonic device do you have in mind?

How does its resolution compare to the expected thickness of your waste cake, and the thickness of the oil layer?

At first, I was thinking about JSN-SR04T module. Amazon link But now I have feeling that I might need more industrial product with same working principle. All I am trying to achieve is to measure distance(placement) of oil/waste cake interface.

Askat: At first, I was thinking about JSN-SR04T module.

That's for use in air.

All I am trying to achieve is to measure distance(placement) of oil/waste cake interface.

So what are the actual dimensions you're looking at, and required resolution and accuracy?

wvmarle:
So what are the actual dimensions you’re looking at, and required resolution and accuracy?

around 2m * 1m*1m tank. any resolution works fine but I was interested in using ultrasonic one. Accuracy of up to 2 cm (1% of length).