Ultrasonic Wireless Communication

Hi guys,

I would like to establish wireless communication between 3 Arduino Uno boards via ultrasound waves. My project is restricted to ultrasound as a medium for data transmission only. The idea is each board to identify itself with simple code like:

Board 1: Assigned Unique Code: 12345
Board 2: Assigned Unique Code: 67891
Board 3: Assigned Unique Code: 23456

Each board has to display the codes of other two boards.

Is it possible to send encoded messages via ultrasound transducer like HC-SR04?

The highest transmission frequency I can use is 40kHz and no other wireless transmission should be used (no IR/GPS time synchronisation).

To me it looks quite challenging, but I'm sure you can give me a good expertise whether the project is feasible or not.

I'm looking forward to hearing from you guys.

Kind Regards,
Nick

Is this a school assignment?

No,

It's first year university project which I chose and now I'm doing my research.

Kind Regards,
Nick

nikolay_zhelev:
No,

It's first year university project which I chose and now I'm doing my research.

Kind Regards,
Nick

I think you should consider doing a different project. I think what you want to do is more or less impossible with the ultrasonic stuff available.

Yes, you can use piezoelectric transducers, like those found on the HC-SR04, to send information via pulses at ultrasonic frequencies.

In addition to the Arduino, you will need voltage amplifiers for both input and output transducers.

Hi Power_Broker,

Thanks for your reply. Can you explain a little bit more why it looks impossible to you, what kind of issues do you see?

Regards,
Nick

I always wanted to play with this - it is feasible. But the HC-SR04 won't do it because the sensors are controlled by an onboard closed source microcontroller, dedicated only to range measurement.

I would try to create some kind of OOK or FSK modulator and receiver and then use the RadioHead library.

It is absolutely feasible: before the IR remote control era, there existed TVs that were using ultrasound for RC. I used to have a TV like that (luckily we didn't have a cat or dog). So sending out data over ultrasound is totally feasible, and with some digging you may be able to find all the details you need about how those remote controls worked, including the speakers/transducers that produced the sound and the microphones that detected it, to attach them to your Arduinos.