Ultrasound Tansducer

Hello all,

I am planning to do a project. My project description is as below:

The project consists of a sensor interfaced to an Arduino processor kit. The processor is also interfaced to a Ultrasound Transducer, which acts as only transmitter. This setup will be placed in water. There is a buoy floating over the surface of water which will have an ultrasound receiver. This receiver must transmit the same to a Laptop using RF. Can anyone suggest me which are best Arduino boards and Ultrasound sensors available for this?

Do you have a sensor that collects data that is read by an Arduino and you want to use sonar to send this data to another Arduino that you then want to use RF to send data to a laptop?

What is the distance involved? What type of data?

Weedpharma

Yes. We will be testing this in Swimming pool. The distance involved may be 1 or 2 feet.

When there is a sensor, there should be a purpose statement of what the sensor is supposed to to. Your description puts a transmitter in water and a sensor on surface. What does the sensor do? Purpose? Find depth? Does the transmitter stay in one place?

Any Arduino board will work.

The challenge will be to communicate data using ultrasonic transducers designed for use underwater, which are expensive and require sophisticated electronics.

What electronic design skills do you have?

How do you plan to communicate data using ultrasound?

jremington: The challenge will be to communicate data using ultrasonic transducers designed for use underwater, which are expensive and require sophisticated electronics.

Agreed.

I heard from reliable sources, the inexpensive ultrasound transducers we generally use in robots do not work well underwater.

NPB777: There is a buoy floating over the surface of water which will have an ultrasound receiver. This receiver must transmit the same to a Laptop using RF.

This makes it sound like the ultrasound receiver will be outside the water. Is this what you intend to do? I it will be much more difficult to receive acoustic signals if the signals have to cross the water/air barrier.

I've heard of people sending messages with "normal" sound underwater. I think these sorts of transducers aren't as expensive as underwater ultrasound transducers.

It would probably be a good idea to explain what you're trying to do. There may be easier ways to accomplish your goal than using your current plan.

liudr

I am planning to use Temperature and pH sensors.

NPB777: liudr

I am planning to use Temperature and pH sensors.

can we ASSume that you have a battery powered, floating device that is to receive ultra sound signals from a submerged sensor array. the submerged sensor array is taking temperature and PH readings. the sensor array is to use ultra-sound to send only, these values to the floating buoy the floating buoy is to receive the ultra-sound signals, then convert to RF and repeat the values so some distant RF receiver can receive these signals ? maybe a sketch of how all your pieces work and how ultrasond is used and how the rf is used ?

Dave, Yes what you have said is exactly correct. Give some inputs on that.

NPB777: Dave, Yes what you have said is exactly correct. Give some inputs on that.

get a submersalbe enclosure an Arduino NANO a temperature sensor a ph sensor. oh, and find some sort of ultra sonic thingy then get a floating thingy a water tight, floating enclosure an Arduino NANO an rf board then get a ULF transmitter for your submersible because water will kill any chance of using ultra-sonic and a means to transmit information. and a ULF receiver. get a label maker and put ultra-sonic on the ULF parts and tell people you have figured a way to defy the laws of physics and thermodynamics and can use ultra-sonic means to transmit data through water. tell people they can watch how this works, just get some of these http://the3dmarket.com/products/x-ray-specs

If it’s only a metre or so try light - blue or green.
Unless you’re in very dirty water.

Ultrasound communications might be confused by passing dolphins, whales, etc.

jremington: Ultrasound communications might be confused by passing dolphins, whales, etc.

I thought that dolphins 'vocalized' from 1/10 kz to about 100khz ? with the higher frequencies for local, short range 'zapping' of it's prey. 'the loneliest whale' sings at a high pitch of 52 hz, much higher than other whales and may be so high pitch that other whales who normally sing at 15-20hz don't bother with it.

Dave

What is ULF transmitter and ULF receiver for? Can you explain more on that? Also, I stay at India. So are the products which you pointed out available at India?

NPB777: Dave

What is ULF transmitter and ULF receiver for?

ULF is how navies communicate with their submarines, typically at data rates measured in bits per second.

dave-in-nj:
then get a ULF transmitter for your submersible because water will kill any chance of using ultra-sonic and a means to transmit information.

Most hydrographic operations use a 200 kHz transducer, which is suitable for inshore work up to 100 metres in depth. Deeper water requires a lower frequency transducer as the acoustic signal of lower frequencies is less susceptible to attenuation in the water column. Commonly used frequencies for deep water sounding are 33 kHz and 24 kHz.

Which is the best simulator software which can create the environment which I need?