Unable to connect to wifi using ESP8266 wifi shield

I am trying to connect my arduino uno over the wifi using sparkfun's ESP8266 wifi shield.

I have soldered wires to: (unlabled pin), ioref, reset, 3.3V 5V ground, ground, and vin on the left side and 0,1,8,9,13, GND, aref, SDA and SCL on the right side.
I followed the hookup guide from sparkfun, which included downloading the AT library they advised to use. I opened the example sketch provided and uploaded it to the board with the UART pin set to SW. I opened the serial monitor, started the connect, it know to connect to my wifi, but failed when attemping to do so. giving the error code -3, which I have found simply means a connection issue. Not sure what else to attempt to fix this.

I am happy to more clearly explain anything I have done, as I'm sure im probably lacking important information.

If you can't post a schematic it would help if you draw a block diagram with pin connections , take a photo of it with your cell phone and post the photo.

raschemmel:
If you can't post a schematic it would help if you draw a block diagram with pin connections , take a photo of it with your cell phone and post the photo.

First.
It looks like that product comes unassembled.
The OP would need to solder the headers properly.

Second.
It's a shield, so it is suppose to fit over the Arduino Uno.
Why is the OP is running wires? ? ?

My point was that he could have done this:
SCHEMATIC

or this:

SPARKFUN WIFI SHIELD PHOTO.jpg

I didn't understand why you were wanting to make him link to a schematic when it is a mostly-assembled ( except for the headers) purchased product.

I figured he was ignorant about how link to the product he was using. This ignorance appears to be quite common around here even for someone like the OP who isn't a complete newbie.

I soldered because I dont have headers, I had another person with more electronics experience (but not about getting this wifi to work) check my solder connections and they are fine. One thing I found out is that it cant connect to 5ghz wifi so I have tried connecting to 2.4 ghz and the error is the same. Im confident the hardware connections are fine as the sample code, when run, shows in the monitor that it is communicating with the wifi shield and attempting to connect

Ziayakens:
I soldered because I dont have headers, I had another person with more electronics experience (but not about getting this wifi to work) check my solder connections and they are fine. One thing I found out is that it cant connect to 5ghz wifi so I have tried connecting to 2.4 ghz and the error is the same. Im confident the hardware connections are fine as the sample code, when run, shows in the monitor that it is communicating with the wifi shield and attempting to connect

So for the measly cost of a couple of headers you decided to do some soldering.
Fine.

You have access to your router and we don't.
And you have a shield that you have soldered which may or not be working fine.

Not much we can do from afar.

if you assumed the hardware was fine, you still wouldnt be able to provide any suggestions because you dont have access to the network im working with? Just trying to clarify, if theres anything I can do on my end to make it easier to provide help

Ziayakens:
if you assumed the hardware was fine, you still wouldnt be able to provide any suggestions because you dont have access to the network im working with? Just trying to clarify, if theres anything I can do on my end to make it easier to provide help

What can I assume?
You are next to your router; I am not.
If you are able to connect to it with your smartphone, then I don't know what else can be wrong.

I have no such problems with all of my five (5) ESP-01 wifi modules on my home network. Granted my router is dual-band.

With all things ESP8266 a robust 3.3V power supply is imperative.