Unable to control stepper motors from mega pins 22-53 with third party libraries

Hello all,
I am working on a sculpture of a hand that uses five 5v Stepper Motors and ULN2003
I have the input pins for the drivers plugged into the 22-53 pin section of the arduino mega.

I have written a code to move the fingers with the default stepper library, and it works.

The drivers and the arduino share a ground, so that the signals will go be read by the drivers.

However, I need more functionality than what the basic stepper library offers, so I tried CheapStepper and AccelStepper.

Here is where things get weird:

The basic move commands in AccelStepper and CheapStepper will move a stepper motor only when connected to pins 8-11, and will not even light up the LEDs on the driver when connected to pins in the 22-53 section.
Basic stepper will move the motors normally, no matter the location.

I have to use the 22-53 pin section, because I need 20 pins in total (4 pins for 5 motors).

Does anyone know why I cannot drive the motors with the different libraries?

twistyrp:
Does anyone know why I cannot drive the motors with the different libraries?

My guess is that authors of the libraries never thought about those pins. Most software is developed on Unos.

You may be able to modify the library code and then make the modified version available for others.

...R