Unable to specify PORT for Gemma in IDE

I have been struggling with trying to connect my Arduino IDE with my Adafruit Gemma (black)
with no success. I can connect to my Uno but when I try to connect my Gemma, I am unable to select a Port. Any thoughts as to what I am doing wrong?

Operating system: Ubuntu 14.04 LTS
OS type: 64-bit
on a processor: Intel® Core™ i5-4460 CPU @ 3.20GHz × 4
with graphics: Intel® Haswell Desktop
Arduino IDE: 1.6.9
When I plug in Arduino Uno board
in the IDE tools/board: Arduino/Genuino Uno
at the bottom of the IDE screen: Arduino/Genuino Uno on /dev/ttyACM0
When I plug in Adafruit Gemma (black)

in the IDE tools/board: Adafruit Gemma 8MHz (I can not find anything about 8MHz on the board)
at the bottom of the IDE screen: Adafruit Gemma 8MHz on /dev/ttyACM0
The word Port in IDE tools/ is faded.
When I click tools/Get board info, I am told “Please select port to obtain board info.
I have tried various tools/programmer options: USBtinyISP, AVRISP mkll, AVR ISP
Results from dmesg, ls -l /sys/dev/char, and lsusb commands are in attached doc.

ArduinoGemmaQuest2.doc (15.5 KB)

Please follow the instructions found in the "Uploading Sketches to the Arduino Gemma" section of https://www.arduino.cc/en/Guide/ArduinoGemma.

I think I did follow these instructions.

Uploading Sketches to the Arduino Gemma
Select Arduino Gemma from Tools > Board : I selected Adafruit Gemma 8MHz, but dmesg listed usb 3-9.4: Product: Trinket. Is this normal?
Select Arduino Gemma from Tools > Programmer : I tried several but while dmesg listed ttyACM0: USB ACM device when I connected a UNO, this listing was absent when I connected Gemma
Plug in the Gemma, make sure you see the red LED lit : I did and I did
Press the reset button on the Gemma - verify you see the red LED pulse. This means it is ready to receive data: I did and I did
Click on File > Upload Using Programmer above within 10 seconds : I did but the upload failed.
I think one of my problems is the port. The word PORT is faded in the IDE>TOOLS menu which prevents me from selecting a PORT. I am a little confused as to why selecting the port is not in the Uploading Sketches instructions.

I am confused about the following statement in the instructions.
“Serial Debug with Arduino Gemma: The Arduino Gemma doesn't allow you to use the serial monitor on the Arduino IDE, but Software Serial can be used. To see the serial output on a serial monitor you can use the Arduino USB2Serial “
Does the Gemma require the used of this type of device?

BobPage:
Select Arduino Gemma from Tools > Programmer : I tried several

Don't try several, use Arduino Gemma, as the instructions tell you to do.

BobPage:
I am a little confused as to why selecting the port is not in the Uploading Sketches instructions.

Because the Gemma works differently than other Arduino boards, it doesn't have a port so that's fine that there is not port shown.

BobPage:
To see the serial output on a serial monitor you can use the Arduino USB2Serial “
Does the Gemma require the used of this type of device?

Only if you want serial output.