Unable to update AVR boards (IDE 1.8.5)


I’m trying to write to my Feather M0 and don’t see the board type listed on the dropdown.

In order to do this, I’m updating my board list (installing SAMD boards as we speak) but I can’t update the AVR boards from 1.6.20 to ?1.6.21? When I do, it hangs after a second and throws an error about
"CRC file doesn't match, file is corrupted. It may be a temporary problem, please retry later."
I’ve tried four times over the last ~48 hours and nothing seems to have changed. Each time before I do that, I go into %appdata%\Local\Arduino15\staging\packages and I delete all the files in there so that we’re hopefully not trying to process old/broken garbage.

I’m running Windows 10 (ugh) on a 64-bit ThinkPad. Any advice?

Which version if the IDE ?
Please dont say the win 10 app LOL

I can't reproduce the problem. You'll be glad to know that the only change made between Arduino AVR Boards 1.6.20 and 1.6.21 is to support the new versions of the official Arduino Nano board. If you don't own one of those boards then there is no need to install Arduino AVR Boards 1.6.21.

I go into %appdata%\Local\Arduino15\staging\packages and I delete all the files in there so that we're hopefully not trying to process old/broken garbage.

Good thinking!

If you do want to pursue a solution further I recommend you to post here the more detailed error output you will find in the black console window at the bottom of the Arduino IDE window after encountering the CRC error and then closing Boards Manager. Maybe that will provide a clue for someone here.

@BallScrewBob: IDE is 1.8.5, per the topic. :wink:

@pert: Good information! Thanks! I didn't see any more detailed info in the console output but maybe I'd missed it.

I resolved the core issue (not the CRC one, but per pert we don't need to, so that's very helpful to know.) Looks like we didn't read the Adafruit page closely enough (it's an Adafruit Feather M0 Adalogger) and there are more directions (an entire detailed guide, in fact) on their website. Once we pored through again more closely (and had slept on the issue) we found it, followed it, and are all set.

Thanks for everyone's help!