Unable to upload codes due to com port option unavaiability in device manager

I'm not able to upload my codes to Arduino Uno because USB Port option is not there in the device manager folder.The Arduino IDE 1.8.2 shows 'ports' under Tools in faded colour which means I can;t select com port. But, it does shows Arduino/Genuino on com1 at the bottom right side corner. Please help me with uploading the codes. LLC drivers are installed in my PC..Still problem persists..

(deleted)

amitdas1023: But, it does shows Arduino/Genuino on com1 at the bottom right side corner.

That's just a default; it does not mean that the IDE detected anything. Mine shows currently "Arduino/Genuino on COM8", even without a board connected; it's just the last settings I used.

@spycatcher2k

Thanks for replying.. Opening Device Manager without Arduino plugged-in does not show any change. Com ports option is not available in device manager. I'm using windows 10. I guess Arduino IDE 1.8.2 is not compatible with windows 10. I might be wrong but that's how it is in my laptop. It cannot be drivers issues bcoz I saw LLC/ COM ports drivers getting installed when I downloaded IDE.

Seeing drivers getting installed means very little.
It does NOT mean they are the ones for that board.

How about you post a picture of the board (not an image from the web) that shows it quite close up and includes the whole board.

(deleted)

@amitdas1023, do not cross-post. Do not hijack. Other thread removed.

Ballscrewbob:
Seeing drivers getting installed means very little.
It does NOT mean they are the ones for that board.

How about you post a picture of the board (not an image from the web) that shows it quite close up and includes the whole board.

This is the pic of my Arduino

This is how I’ve connected wires on breadboard

A better focused picture of the breadboard might be in order.

Hard to identify what is going where.

Arduino certainly look OK.

Still a little concerned that you cannot see the ports in device manager though as mentioned by others.

Better view of arduino and breadboard connection

Ballscrewbob:
Still a little concerned that you cannot see the ports in device manager though as mentioned by others.

Device manager view after plugging Arduino via USB cable

Am I supposed to make some changes in the "USB controllers"(refer to the pic I uploaded) in device manager??

You need to enable "show hidden devices" in win 10 to see the com ports. Why its that way I dont understand as its a pretty crucial component of Arduino work.

Arduino is fully compatible with Windows 10; I'm using it just fine on two Win10 systems.

You have an LED connected directly between an output pin and ground. Hasn't anyone ever told you that you need a resistor in series with an LED to limit the current? Right now, the current going through the LED is being limited by the strength of the pin drivers; you're almost certainly exceeding the maximum spec'ed current on pin 13. It's a testament to modern LED technology that the LED has survived, as you are most certainly exceeding it's maximum current rating as well!

Of course, this still doesn't explain why the system doesn't recognize the Arduino board. Even if you've let the smoke out of the '328p, you should still see the com port. Do you have access to another computer that is known to work correctly with Arduino boards that you can test it on, to rule out the possibility that the 16u2 chip on your board is damaged?

Ballscrewbob: You need to enable "show hidden devices" in win 10 to see the com ports. Why its that way I dont understand as its a pretty crucial component of Arduino work.

It's because microsoft doesn't respect their users; your computer is for checking facebook, watching video, and browsing the internet and writing documents with Microsoft Office. Stop trying to do anything truly productive and go back to consuming content like a good user.

@Ballscrewbob

Thanks a lot, brother!!! It works.. I selected the 'show hidden devices' in device manager and "COM & LPT" suddenly appeared outta nowhere... Now I can select 'com3' as my usb port for my arduino..

I've been banned for 5 days on this forum to get my problem solved,finally...

Thanks to everyone who tried helping me in one or the another way...