Unable to upload sketches to any Arduino

Hi I have just run across a problem uploading to any Arduino, using IDE 1.8.13 multiple USB ports and cables. I am a Windows 10 user and all was working well then suddenly it wasn't. I done all my recent testing using the basic Blink sketch and I have tried on a Nano clone, Nano every, Uno and a Mega.
the error is as follows: avrdude: ser_open(): can't open device "\.\COM3": The system cannot find the file specified.

After trying everything I could find on the "interweb" i.e. Clean install of IDE, verifying the comport in recognized in device manager and even installing the CH341 driver for the clone nano just in case. Just a note I also installed the IDE 2.0 beta and it appears to work but I need to use the 1.8.13 for now.
Aby ideas?

Hi @steverichab. Make sure you have the port of your Arduino board selected from the Arduino IDE's Tools > Port menu. In some cases, the port will have the board name next to it. Other ports can not be identified automatically by the IDE. In this case, you can check whether it's the port of your board by:

1. Unplug the Arduino board's USB cable from your computer.
  2. Open the Arduino IDE's Tools > Port menu.
  3. Note which ports are listed in the menu.
  4. Close the Arduino IDE's Tools > Port menu. The reason this is needed is because the menu only updates when it is first opened.
  5. Plug the Arduino board's USB cable into your computer.
  6. Open the Arduino IDE's Tools > Port menu.
  7. Note which ports are listed in the menu. The port that wasn't shown when the Arduino board was not plugged in is the port of that board.

Note that your computer may have other ports, which are either built-in, or for other non-Arduino devices.

Pert, Thank you for your support, I really appreciate it!
Unfortunately the appropriate board and port are shown in the Arduino IDE’s Tools > Port menu . in the current test it is: Port: "COM6(Arduino Nano Every)" and when I change ports or boards it recognizes the port and board appropriately but it still won't upload a blink sketch using IDE 1.8.13 but it will using IDE 2.0 Beta. Very Odd.....

Try restarting your computer. Sometimes a glitch can cause the port to get stuck in an unusable state and restarting fixes that.

If this were the cause of the problem, I would expect the problem to probably affect both IDEs, but there are significant differences in how they handle ports, so maybe not.

Anyway, it's worth a try.

Thanks but this PC has been restarted many times while searching for the solution. I am afraid it is on the Windows 10 side and I am simply trying to avoid a clean install of windows but.....

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.