unable to upload to board

I was testing a sketch and uploaded a prototype version to my board. The upload was successful, as all uploads before that one. Now I'm unable to upload any sketch and I have no idea how to solve this.

The error is pretty known: avr... getsync().... My OS: Windows 7. My board: Duemilanove. Before I was able to upload perfectly.

Tried, but unsuccessful: - reset board (led blinks once, so bootloader is fine) - reboot computer - disconnect/connect cables to computer

Any suggestions?

You don't say what the sketch you up loaded was trying to do? One way of bricking the chip is to monkey around with the watch dog timer and set it too short. Were you connecting any extra hardware could you have fried the chip, even accidentally?

The sketch I tried to upload kept track of the time. For instance: millis() - previousMillis => add difference to time. The time was then displayed on an lcd display.

The LCD display was not connected when uploading, but after uploading the first sketch (which was only one line of difference to the last sketch) I connected the LCD display. There was no result, although this could be due to the line of code missing.

As far as faulty connections go, the cables are soldered into male header pins, so I don't see how I fumbled on that one. But how can I see if this has happened?

Are you using the digital pins 0 and/or 1? Have you checked if you dont have a short circuit?

Digital pins 0 and 1 are in use in the sketch and in the circuit, but these were disconnected during the upload. But if the circuit would have caused a short-circuit, it would have done that 3 tests before that. Although I'm not denying short-circuits, mistakes happen, but I just don't see how it would have happened in this one situation and not in the other situations.

But if the circuit would have caused a short-circuit, it would have done that 3 tests before that.

No..... you can sometimes get away with an error by only causing none fatal damage, but if you persist then it breaks.

Hmm, I see. So if the board was short-circuited, how can I confirm this?

Got the same problem with my arduino, it works with my dad’s win xp pc but not with my win 7. I have tryed Arduino duemilanove, Mega and nano but none of them work just get the same error code:

avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x30
avrdude: stk500_disable(): protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x51

Can it be a problem with the win 7 usb driver ?

Edit: Got it working, just carefully followed the FTDI usb driver instructions and the right com port poped up in arduino ide. God luck if you still stuck with yours.