unable to upload to uno- reinstalled 1.6.12 still failed

Arduino: 1.6.12 (Windows 8.1), Board: "Arduino/Genuino Uno"

C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\arduino-builder -dump-prefs -logger=machine -hardware

Sketch uses 2,598 bytes (8%) of program storage space. Maximum is 32,256 bytes.
Global variables use 216 bytes (10%) of dynamic memory, leaving 1,832 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 2,048 bytes.
C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr/bin/avrdude -CC:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr/etc/avrdude.conf -v -patmega328p -carduino -PCOM5 -b115200 -D -Uflash:w:C:\Users\stephen\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_build_209044/Switch_input__test_16A.ino.hex:i

avrdude: Version 6.3, compiled on Sep 12 2016 at 17:24:16
Copyright (c) 2000-2005 Brian Dean, http://www.bdmicro.com/
Copyright (c) 2007-2014 Joerg Wunsch

System wide configuration file is "C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr/etc/avrdude.conf"

Using Port : COM5
Using Programmer : arduino
Overriding Baud Rate : 115200
An error occurred while uploading the sketch
Invalid library found in C:\Users\stephen\Documents\Arduino\libraries\Arduino-Led: C:\Users\stephen\Documents\Arduino\libraries\Arduino-Led
Invalid library found in C:\Users\stephen\Documents\Arduino\libraries\RF24-master: C:\Users\stephen\Documents\Arduino\libraries\RF24-master
Invalid library found in C:\Users\stephen\Documents\Arduino\libraries\Arduino-Led: C:\Users\stephen\Documents\Arduino\libraries\Arduino-Led
Invalid library found in C:\Users\stephen\Documents\Arduino\libraries\RF24-master: C:\Users\stephen\Documents\Arduino\libraries\RF24-master

These are the lines from the verbal log.

The Libraries were previously installed and working under version 1.7.10??
But latest downloadable .exe file is 1.6.12??
But it won't download a previously working sketch to the uno board, it does not use any libraries.

The Libraries were previously installed and working under version 1.7.10??
But latest downloadable .exe file is 1.6.12??

1.7.10 is arduino.org
1.6.12 is arduino.cc (this forum)
Maybe 1.6.12 can't see where you put them under 1.7.10?

1.7.10 is from the other Arduino site and it looks like you have library issues that you would need to resolve by maybe moving the 1.7.10 libs to the 1.6.12 location or deleting them and start again.

Removed libraries from original location, none were being used in this sketch, which compiles correctly.
It made no difference and the error message no long mentions invalid libraries.

Unfortunately the upload fails to complete, which it did under 1.7.10, where the sketch compiled and loaded perfectly.
Is there something in compatible with 1.6.12 which is the latest version dated 2016.09.21?
My uno is
BN: Arduino/Genuino Uno
VID: 2A03
PID: 0043
SN: 75435363038351C081F0
The box says A100066, system is Windows 8.1 x64.

The box says this is the site to raise any installation queries.

It looks very much like you installed the wrong IDE from the wrong site and it may have messed things up a little..

You are not the first that's for sure.

My own recommendation is to either go back to the IDE that worked or uninstall them all completely and start afresh with 1.6.12.

The uninstall on its own may not fix things as there are a couple of directories left behind.

I have my own set of steps to take care of those issues and am including them below JIC you need them.

Some directories that may be left behind and that should preferably be deleted.
These are for IDE 1.6.12 but you may also want to check where 1.7.x put its things too.

C:\Users\Yourname\AppData\Local\Arduino15

C:\Users\Yourname\AppData\Roamingl\Arduino15

C:\ProgramFiles (x86)\Arduino

Also move your sketches folder somewhere safe for the moment

You may want to also perfrom a good cleanup JIC any issues lie there.
I use CCLEANER to get rid of the crud followed by WISE REGISTRY cleaner to root out any stray bits. That method is by far the best way to not only remove programs but to do a thorough clean up of your computer too... both CCLEANER and WISE are advert free and work very well.

Re-installed version 1.7.10 from arduino.org,
Problems incurred:-

1. It says it will install on c:\program files(x86)\arduino
    Actually it installs it in c:\username\arduino folder!

2. Requires 3 confirmations to install driver software
    A: Linino (usbuser) Ports 01/13/2014) (refused as I did not know what it does)
    B: Atmel usb driver package setup, agreement to licence t&c's, from Atmel Norway, accepted as this is the UNO's CPU manufacturer.
    C: Jungo Connectivity from Jungo LTD, refused, as again it does not say why this should be installed.

After completing the installation, I ran the IDE, which is better organised than the 1.16. IDE, such as putting upload commands under File.

I then plugged the UNO board back into the USB port on the computer,
selected the indicated USB port 5.

It then compiled the sketch and ran under 1.7.10, then it uploaded successfully.

So there is a great difference between the two IDE's, one will upload the code to my UNO, the other will not.

There is also a notice on arduino.org that arduino.cc and arduino.org are to re-unite, so hopefully this will be sorted out!

There are two install directories with the IDE normally.

One is the programs (x86) folder and the other is in the users directory as mentioned in my post.
On occasion there might even be a third again mentioned above.

The registry also always contains references to various IDE installs hence the suggestion of a good clean up and the best free tools to do it.

Glad you are all fixed up though.