Unable to use AVR ISP MKII anymore after updating to IDE 1.8.2

Since reluctantly updating to the latest IDE 1.8.2 and leaving behind my trustworthy IDE 1.06 I can no longer use my programmer (Olimex AVR ISP MKII) to burn bootloaders or even upload sketches via the programmer.

This what i get :

vrdude: stk500v2_recv_mk2: error in USB receive
avrdude: stk500v2_getsync(): timeout communicating with programmer
avrdude: stk500v2_command(): failed miserably to execute command 0x11
avrdude: stk500v2_disable(): failed to leave programming mode

Attached is also the full verbose output with additional info.

Anyone has any ideas on this ?

Ouput.txt (23.9 KB)

I don’t know if I’ve used my Atmel AVR ISP MKii with 1.8.2 yet.
I have a customer built board that I am checking functionality on tonight, I’ll see if 1.8.2 will let me burn the bootloader on it. His manufacturer supposedly pulled 328’s off of Unos to put on the board as they couldn’t comprehend installing a bootloader using the press-on tool to connect the Programmer to the chip.

I can tell you that my Atmel AVRISP mkII works fine with Arduino IDE 1.8.2, ATmega1284P, and MightyCore 1.0.8. I don't own the Olimex programmer and don't know if there are significant differences.

I did have some problems with my USBasp and the version of AVRDUDE used by Arduino 1.8.2 and other recent IDE versions. I solved this by switching to the libusbK driver from libusb-win32, which I believe is also commonly used for the AVRISP mkII. I also switched to using libusbK for my AVRISP mkII, which solved a different issue I had with older versions of AVRDUDE (though not with 6.3.0). So none of that indicates that the libusbK driver would solve your problem but maybe it's worth a try. I used Zadig to install it:
http://zadig.akeo.ie/
which also allows you to easily go back to libusb-win32, though maybe not the same version.

Arduino 1.8.2 on Linux. Genuine AVR ISP MKII uploads fine. Leonardo running AVRISP-MKII Software from Dean Camera's LUFA project works also. I am guessing that the Olemex clone is using the LUFA software. If 1.0.6 worked for you download the zip file and try using the avrdude executable and config file from 1.0.6 with 1.8.2 (save the 1.8.2 originals, just in case).

I used Zadig to install it:
http://zadig.akeo.ie/
which also allows you to easily go back to libusb-win32, though maybe not the same version.

If 1.0.6 worked for you download the zip file and try using the avrdude executable and config file from 1.0.6 with 1.8.2

So.. I switched to the libusbK drivers and also went back to AVRDUDE Version 5.11 that comes with IDE 1.06 which I have been using for ages.

I have also noticed that when the MightyCore 1284p board is selected AVRDUDE uses a different avrdude.conf file which is located in :.... \Local\Arduino15\packages\MightyCore\hardware\avr\1.0.8/avrdude.conf. So I had to replace that one as since the original one produced a syntax error when read from AVRDUDE V5.11.

The good news is that I can now burn bootoloaders on both 32u4 based boards as well as 1284p.
I can also upload sketches via the USB port on 32u4 boards BUT when it comes to the 1284p board that uses an external FTDI USB to serial adaptorm i get the following:

avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 10 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xb4
avrdude: ser_drain(): read error: Access is denied.

In other words the problem now appears when I use the MightyCore boards...

And now I am stack again....

Try posting in this thread it's support for Mighty Core.

Thanks tf68 but that thread s been dead for a year…

I wonder if there is another place to get support for the mighty core

Post to that thread hanisbull is usually pretty good at answering, he maintains Mighty Core after all.

Post to that thread hanisbull is usually pretty good at answering, he maintains Mighty Core after all.

Ok... Done!

Watcher:
So… I switched to the libusbK drivers and also went back to AVRDUDE Version 5.11 that comes with IDE 1.06 which I have been using for ages.

I have also noticed that when the MightyCore 1284p board is selected AVRDUDE uses a different avrdude.conf file which is located in :… \Local\Arduino15\packages\MightyCore\hardware\avr\1.0.8/avrdude.conf. So I had to replace that one as since the original one produced a syntax error when read from AVRDUDE V5.11.

The good news is that I can now burn bootoloaders on both 32u4 based boards as well as 1284p.
I can also upload sketches via the USB port on 32u4 boards BUT when it comes to the 1284p board that uses an external FTDI USB to serial adaptorm i get the following:

avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding

avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 10 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xb4
avrdude: ser_drain(): read error: Access is denied.

In other words the problem now appears when I use the MightyCore boards...

And now I am stack again....

It works with me in version 1.8.4… I change the driver of the AVRISP for the LibusbK and “voi lá” it works again.

Thanks for the help.