Unable to verify firmware updater utility for MKR1010

I'm having problems configuring the MKR1010 for the IOT cloud, so I attempted to update the firmware version to the latest revision. I followed the instructions I found on this forum and downloaded the arduino-nightly-windows .zip file, unzipped the files, and ran the arduino.exe file. The library update ran without errors, so I ran the firmware updater utility. The utility fails to verify, so I am unable to update the firmware. Is this a known error? How should I proceed? This is getting very frustrating, please help!

Here is the error message:

Arduino: 1.8.14 Hourly Build 2021/01/29 11:33 (Windows 10), Board: "Arduino Uno"

ESP32BootROM.cpp:335:32: error: 'SerialNina' was not declared in this scope

ESP32BootROMClass ESP32BootROM(SerialNina, NINA_GPIO0, NINA_RESETN);
^~~~~~~~~~

sketch\ESP32BootROM.cpp:335:32: note: suggested alternative: 'Serial'

^~~~~~~~~~
Serial

ESP32BootROM.cpp:335:44: error: 'NINA_GPIO0' was not declared in this scope

^~~~~~~~~~
ESP32BootROM.cpp:335:56: error: 'NINA_RESETN' was not declared in this scope

^~~~~~~~~~~
exit status 1

'SerialNina' was not declared in this scope

This report would have more information with
"Show verbose output during compilation"
option enabled in File -> Preferences.

thomas_simpson68:
Arduino: 1.8.14 Hourly Build 2021/01/29 11:33 (Windows 10), Board: "Arduino Uno"

Hi @thomas_simpson68. The error is caused by you having the wrong board selected from the Arduino IDE's Tools > Board menu. You need to select Tools > Board > Arduino SAMD (32-bits ARM Cortex-M0+) Boards > Arduino MKR WiFi 1010 and then try uploading the firmware updater sketch again.

If you don't see that menu selection, that means you don't have the Arduino SAMD Boards platform installed. You can install it by following these instructions:

• Tools > Board > Boards Manager
  • Wait for the update to finish.
  • Scroll down through the list of available boards platforms until you see "Arduino SAMD Boards (32-bits ARM Cortex-M0+)". Click on it.
  • Click the "Install" button.
  • Wait for the installation to finish.
  • Click the "Close" button.

After doing that, you'll be able to select Tools > Board > Arduino SAMD (32-bits ARM Cortex-M0+) Boards > Arduino MKR WiFi 1010 and upload the firmware updater sketch to your MKR WiFi 1010.

That was the problem. Update complete. Thanks! I missed that step.

You're welcome. I'm glad to hear it's working now. Enjoy!
Per

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.