Unbrick XBEE S1 using breakout board

Hello everyone! I must apologize right from the start that I am new at all this stuff and learning it for the first time so please try and bear with me.

I bricked one of my XBEE's. When I plug it into my breakout board, I have the 'DOUT' indicator light that will not turn off and X-CTU refuses to read it anymore.

I have seen so ways on how to unbrick it using the USB explorer but I don't have one of those.

I am using the Arduino hack to connect my XBEE to my computer via this https://www.sparkfun.com/products/8276

Is it possible someone could try explaining to me what to do or at least to point me in the right direction.

Thanks!

I have seen so ways on how to unbrick it using the USB explorer but I don't have one of those.

Look at the back side of your breakout board. Look at the back side of the USB explorer. Damn near identical, especially with respect to the connections to the XBee.

The same procedure for unbricking an XBee using a USB Explorer should work with your breakout board.

If not, consider that a USB Explorer is cheaper than a new XBee, and is very useful if you really plan to do much with XBees. Including unbricking them.

PaulS:

Look at the back side of your breakout board. Look at the back side of the USB explorer. Damn near identical, especially with respect to the connections to the XBee.

The same procedure for unbricking an XBee using a USB Explorer should work with your breakout board.

If not, consider that a USB Explorer is cheaper than a new XBee, and is very useful if you really plan to do much with XBees. Including unbricking them.

Everywhere is telling me press the reset switch. I just assumed that I hooked up a wire to the "RST" and then touched it to the ground instead of pressing a switch. It doesn't look like that did anything. Am I doing something wrong?

I also hooked up the 3.3V, the ground, the Dout and the Din because I don't have the USB explorer.

I ordered a explorer last night because I'm realizing how much easier it would make life for me. Problem is, it will probably take 2 weeks to come in.

Everywhere is telling me press the reset switch. I just assumed that I hooked up a wire to the "RST" and then touched it to the ground instead of pressing a switch. It doesn't look like that did anything. Am I doing something wrong?

That should work. The USB Explorer doesn't have a reset switch, either.

With just the 4 wires (3.3V, Gnd, Din, Dout) connected, measure the voltage at the reset pin. What is it?

PaulS:

That should work. The USB Explorer doesn't have a reset switch, either.

With just the 4 wires (3.3V, Gnd, Din, Dout) connected, measure the voltage at the reset pin. What is it?

errrr... don't really have any method of measuring it.

Anything else I can try?