Undefined Reference to setup

Hello,

I am currently working on my first Arduino uno project, and I am using material from Create a 6dof IMU with a gyro and accelerometer for (Arduino) multicopters. to compile my MPU-6050 in a way that my Arduino Uno understands and am getting these error messages.
this is my first arduino project and i have just downloaded all the software onto my Mac.

</var/folders/3r/2pw0j37x2n9bgl1dvrwkvs6w0000gn/T//ccdfbEN0.ltrans0.ltrans.o: In function main': /Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/hardware/arduino/avr/cores/arduino/main.cpp:43: undefined reference to setup'

collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
exit status 1
Error compiling for board Arduino Uno.>

""quick edit, i added a Void setup () {} literally having no idea what adding that line of code would do and it seems to have cleared up my error and allowed me to verify. clarification would be awesome.""

MPU-6050_IMU_drone.ino (6.71 KB)

For short programs you should include them in your Post as many people (working on Tablets) can't download them.

#include <Wire.h>

//Declaring some global variables
int gyro_x, gyro_y, gyro_z;
long acc_x, acc_y, acc_z, acc_total_vector;
int temperature;
long gyro_x_cal, gyro_y_cal, gyro_z_cal;
long loop_timer;
int lcd_loop_counter;
float angle_pitch, angle_roll;
int angle_pitch_buffer, angle_roll_buffer;
boolean set_gyro_angles;
float angle_roll_acc, angle_pitch_acc;
float angle_pitch_output, angle_roll_output;

void loop(){

read_mpu_6050_data();                                                //Read the raw acc and gyro data from the MPU-6050

gyro_x -= gyro_x_cal;                                                //Subtract the offset calibration value from the raw gyro_x value
  gyro_y -= gyro_y_cal;                                                //Subtract the offset calibration value from the raw gyro_y value
  gyro_z -= gyro_z_cal;                                                //Subtract the offset calibration value from the raw gyro_z value

//Gyro angle calculations
  //0.0000611 = 1 / (250Hz / 65.5)
  angle_pitch += gyro_x * 0.0000611;                                   //Calculate the traveled pitch angle and add this to the angle_pitch variable
  angle_roll += gyro_y * 0.0000611;                                    //Calculate the traveled roll angle and add this to the angle_roll variable

//0.000001066 = 0.0000611 * (3.142(PI) / 180degr) The Arduino sin function is in radians
  angle_pitch += angle_roll * sin(gyro_z * 0.000001066);               //If the IMU has yawed transfer the roll angle to the pitch angel
  angle_roll -= angle_pitch * sin(gyro_z * 0.000001066);               //If the IMU has yawed transfer the pitch angle to the roll angel

//Accelerometer angle calculations
  acc_total_vector = sqrt((acc_x*acc_x)+(acc_y*acc_y)+(acc_z*acc_z));  //Calculate the total accelerometer vector
  //57.296 = 1 / (3.142 / 180) The Arduino asin function is in radians
  angle_pitch_acc = asin((float)acc_y/acc_total_vector)* 57.296;       //Calculate the pitch angle
  angle_roll_acc = asin((float)acc_x/acc_total_vector)* -57.296;       //Calculate the roll angle

//Place the MPU-6050 spirit level and note the values in the following two lines for calibration
  angle_pitch_acc -= 0.0;                                              //Accelerometer calibration value for pitch
  angle_roll_acc -= 0.0;                                               //Accelerometer calibration value for roll

if(set_gyro_angles){                                                 //If the IMU is already started
    angle_pitch = angle_pitch * 0.9996 + angle_pitch_acc * 0.0004;     //Correct the drift of the gyro pitch angle with the accelerometer pitch angle
    angle_roll = angle_roll * 0.9996 + angle_roll_acc * 0.0004;        //Correct the drift of the gyro roll angle with the accelerometer roll angle
  }
  else{                                                                //At first start
    angle_pitch = angle_pitch_acc;                                     //Set the gyro pitch angle equal to the accelerometer pitch angle 
    angle_roll = angle_roll_acc;                                       //Set the gyro roll angle equal to the accelerometer roll angle 
    set_gyro_angles = true;                                            //Set the IMU started flag
  }

//To dampen the pitch and roll angles a complementary filter is used
  angle_pitch_output = angle_pitch_output * 0.9 + angle_pitch * 0.1;   //Take 90% of the output pitch value and add 10% of the raw pitch value
  angle_roll_output = angle_roll_output * 0.9 + angle_roll * 0.1;      //Take 90% of the output roll value and add 10% of the raw roll value

while(micros() - loop_timer < 4000);                                 //Wait until the loop_timer reaches 4000us (250Hz) before starting the next loop
  loop_timer = micros();                                               //Reset the loop timer
}

void read_mpu_6050_data(){                                             //Subroutine for reading the raw gyro and accelerometer data
  Wire.beginTransmission(0x68);                                        //Start communicating with the MPU-6050
  Wire.write(0x3B);                                                    //Send the requested starting register
  Wire.endTransmission();                                              //End the transmission
  Wire.requestFrom(0x68,14);                                           //Request 14 bytes from the MPU-6050
  while(Wire.available() < 14);                                        //Wait until all the bytes are received
  acc_x = Wire.read()<<8|Wire.read();                                  //Add the low and high byte to the acc_x variable
  acc_y = Wire.read()<<8|Wire.read();                                  //Add the low and high byte to the acc_y variable
  acc_z = Wire.read()<<8|Wire.read();                                  //Add the low and high byte to the acc_z variable
  temperature = Wire.read()<<8|Wire.read();                            //Add the low and high byte to the temperature variable
  gyro_x = Wire.read()<<8|Wire.read();                                 //Add the low and high byte to the gyro_x variable
  gyro_y = Wire.read()<<8|Wire.read();                                 //Add the low and high byte to the gyro_y variable
  gyro_z = Wire.read()<<8|Wire.read();                                 //Add the low and high byte to the gyro_z variable

}

void setup_mpu_6050_registers(){
  //Activate the MPU-6050
  Wire.beginTransmission(0x68);                                        //Start communicating with the MPU-6050
  Wire.write(0x6B);                                                    //Send the requested starting register
  Wire.write(0x00);                                                    //Set the requested starting register
  Wire.endTransmission();                                              //End the transmission
  //Configure the accelerometer (+/-8g)
  Wire.write(0x1C);                                                    //Send the requested starting register
  Wire.write(0x10);                                                    //Set the requested starting register
  //Configure the gyro (500dps full scale)
  Wire.write(0x1B);                                                    //Send the requested starting register
  Wire.write(0x08);                                                    //Set the requested starting register
}

...R

The error is due to the fact that you have no function called setup(). Every Arduino program expects to find functions called setup() and loop() even if they are empty.

Maybe you have accidentally omitted some code from the example program you are using?

If not, in your case it may be appropriate to make a setup() function like this

void setup() {
   setup_mpu_6050_registers();
}

...R