Underwater robot navigation

Hello

I am new to the forum, thank you very much for any help.

I am building an underwater robot using an Arduino Nano to control a Servo.

My question, what is the easiest way to include some kind of sensor feedback for control?
Is there an easy way to include a camera/ machine vision to provide a waypoint reference for the control? Underwater acoustic sensors are best, but is there a cheap and easy to implement solution?

Also, most importantly, will an Arduino Nano be enough to cope?

Help is much appreciated!

Many thanks in advance

How do You intend to communicate with the robot?

Is there an easy way to include a camera/ machine vision to provide a waypoint reference for the control?

No, not at all. Machine vision generally requires PC capabilities and very sophisticated programming.

An Arduino Nano could be used to control a couple of motors and collect data from a few sensors (temperature, pressure, etc.).

Railroader:
How do You intend to communicate with the robot?

Thank you for the fast response.
There can be a tether. Could I send images from a camera through a Nano then through tether to a PC?
Is there any software you could recommend? I saw there is a ROS Arduino serial link.

Is there another Arduino board more suitable for this? Or even Raspberry Pi?

Many thanks

The Arduino Nano cannot handle images.

It is a technical challenge to transfer images from a camera to a PC over long cables, so the preferred option would be a single board PC or a Raspberry Pi in the underwater unit, connected directly to the camera.

There are many good machine vision tutorials on line.

Sending data like pictures from down under the water calls for a cable connection to the surface.
Any needed software for that is beyond my knowledge.

Railroader:
Sending data like pictures from down under the water calls for a cable connection to the surface.
Any needed software for that is beyond my knowledge.

Thanks again for the response. I found Lidar might be an easier option for sensor feedback. I'll give it a try!

marvinwright:
I found Lidar might be an easier option for sensor feedback.

Make sure transmitter and receiver are widely-spaced, otherwise backscatter off suspended particles or bubbles will cause inaccuracies.

TheMemberFormerlyKnownAsAWOL:
Make sure transmitter and receiver are widely-spaced, otherwise backscatter off suspended particles or bubbles will cause inaccuracies.

I was thinking of trying something like this:

I dont think the device itself is water tight, so I would install it behind a plexi glas kind of screen. What I found on google so far, that will not be an issue?
Thanks again

You might want to check how rapidly 850nm light is attenuated by water and plexiglass.

I’d say that transmitter and receiver are too close to work reliably underwater, but that’s based on being an underwater photographer, not any experience of this device.