Undo IDE Sketch_Include Library_Add .ZIP Library

I have recently upgraded to the latest IDE (1.8.5) after a long hiatus.

I needed to use the IDE command to install various libraries from scratch. I used the mouse to select and use the following commands
Sketch
Include Library
Add .ZIP Library

It would be very nice if the IDE would actually report the full path into which the new library was installed. Just a suggestion :wink:

The above commands worked but now I need to do some cleanup of libraries installed via the above commands. I want to delete some of them and rename others to have names that are more meaningful to me.

What is the command or process to delete such libraries?

In some cases some libraries also have long names that seem redundant when viewed along with their overall PATH. Such folder names include “-library-master” as part of the folder name.

When One uses an
#include <library_nm>
It seems to me that the IDE software ignores the library name folder’s spelling and actually searches for the two files with a file name of <library_nm.h> and <library_nm.cpp>. The folder name does not seem it be important.

Am I correct in this observation? Would this allow library folder names to be simpler and more meaningful?

I look forward to your answers.

Norm-Folkers:
It would be very nice if the IDE would actually report the full path into which the new library was installed. Just a suggestion :wink:

It almost does this already. The libraries are installed to the libraries subfolder of your sketchbook folder. The sketchbook folder location is set in File > Preferences > Sketchbook location. So to find the location where libraries are installed you only need to add “libraries” to the path set in that preference.

Norm-Folkers:
What is the command or process to delete such libraries?

The IDE doesn’t provide anything of that sort. You just need to delete that library’s folder using any method of your preference, as you would with any other folder you wanted to delete.

Norm-Folkers:
In some cases some libraries also have long names that seem redundant when viewed along with their overall PATH. Such folder names include “-library-master” as part of the folder name.

The Arduino IDE just unzips the file into your {sketchbook folder}/libraries folder. It does not change the folder name. So whatever the name of the folder was when it was zipped is what it will be. GitHub appends the branch/tag/commit name to all the zip files it generates. The default branch name on GitHub is “master” so that’s why you’ll often fine “-master” appended to the library folder names.

Norm-Folkers:
When One uses an
#include <library_nm>
It seems to me that the IDE software ignores the library name folder’s spelling and actually searches for the two files with a file name of <library_nm.h> and <library_nm.cpp>. The folder name does not seem it be important.

Am I correct in this observation? Would this allow library folder names to be simpler and more meaningful?

Absolutely not correct. #include <library_nm> will cause the Arduino IDE to search the library folders for a file named exactly library_nm (no file extensions will be added magically). If that file is not found it will generate an error and compilation will fail.

Norm-Folkers:
The folder name does not seem it be important.

There is one situation where library folder name matters. Let’s say you have this line in your code:

#include <Foo.h>

And you have two libraries:

{sketchbook folder}
|_libraries
|_ALibrary
| |_Foo.h
|_Foo
|_Foo.h

Since there are two files named Foo.h now the Arduino IDE needs to make a decision of which file to use. There are several factors that influence that decision, one of which is whether the folder name matches the file name. All else the same, the filename that matches the library folder name will have include preference. So in the case of there being two files of the same name in your libraries, changing the library folder name could either cause or solve a problem.

Thank you Pert. Your answers are clear and concise. Much appreciated.