Universal Remote w/ SD storage

Hello, Looking for advice on an approach to a universal remote with persistent code storage on an SD card. All help is appreciated!

I am working on creating a remote which can store new codes on demand, and those codes must persist after the device is powered off. My idea is to use the IRRemote library to capture the 'code' and store the long value onto the SD card. I am not sure however whether it can encode all values from all remotes. The library mentioned it can store raw codes, but has anyone found that that is ever necessary?

Also, would it be easier to store code type, code value, and bit length onto the card, then parse and transmit the code based off of what was written to the SD card?

Sorry for how vague this question is.

m34tcode: I am not sure however whether it can encode all values from all remotes. The library mentioned it can store raw codes, but has anyone found that that is ever necessary?

You need to use RAW if the remote uses a protocol that is not recognized. There are also remotes (particularly for air conditioners) that use codes too long for the default buffer. Those will cause problems even for RAW.

m34tcode: Also, would it be easier to store code type, code value, and bit length onto the card, then parse and transmit the code based off of what was written to the SD card?

It's not clear what you mean. I would store the decoded version (type, value, bit count, carrier frequency) when available and when type is 'unknown', use the RAW values.