UNIVERSITY PROJECT: LED, Speaker, Motor, Battery

Could anyone help me with the components (and possibly code that I would need). I am looking to make an arduino set with some LEDs, a speaker, vibrating motor and a small battery pack for them to run off from. I am completely new to Arduino so please treat me like a child. Thanks!

I don't need a starter kit but if I needed one for a newbie I'd get this one. It -doesn't- have the vibrating motor that you mentioned but it has a stepper which is extremely useful. It can be programmed to vibrate. :) The kit has tons of other very useful stuff that you will need to get off the ground.

There's another on for instance that has a smaller 'uno-mounted' breadboard. It's a very tiny space and gets used up fast.

The only thing that it looks a little short on is jumper wires. You can find those elsewhere, probably even from the same vendor.

For $12 (to the US at least) this kit is a rocker. No, I have nothing to do with the vendor. It was just one of the first few kits that popped up when I looked for 'arduino starter kit.'

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Starter-Kit-UNO-R3-Motor-Servo-1602-LCD-Breadboard-LED-Resistor-For-Arduino-T7-/111294310668?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item19e9a8690c

Rats, no, he doesn't have jumper wire packs, but many other vendors do.

Rats, one thing you mentioned, speaker, it doesn't have. That's probably mostly because speaker requires another transistor for power.

Sample/beginner code is found after you install the Arduino software, under the ~/examples subdirectory.

For $12 (to the US at least) this kit is a rocker. No, I have nothing to do with the vendor. It was just one of the first few kits that popped up when I looked for 'arduino starter kit.'

No...

The $9.58 is not a price... It keys the drop-down when you attempt to purchase.. Then you have to select the UNO or the Parts Kit... The parts are $43.98 + $1.99 shipping!

mrburnette: No...

The $9.58 is not a price... It keys the drop-down when you attempt to purchase.. Then you have to select the UNO or the Parts Kit... The parts are $43.98 + $1.99 shipping!

Ohhhhh a classic bait-n-switch. That -looks- like a violation, the 'title' compared to the 'advertised price,' and I'm gonna write to ebay about it. And review whatever else they sell be cause no one ever pulls the same scam once. It's most likely worth $46 but they should say so flat out.

Thanks guys! It is a shame about the pricing. I was looking at LilyPad Vibe Board (http://lilypadarduino.org/?p=514) do I need any specific components to connect this with, an arduino UNO for example? What sort of things is the UNO for - ie what would be the best board for all the above components? Thanks

Nikian-a: ... I was looking at LilyPad Vibe Board (http://lilypadarduino.org/?p=514) do I need any specific components to connect this with, an arduino UNO for example? What sort of things is the UNO for - ie what would be the best board for all the above components? Thanks

I think you are falling a common trap, trying to anticipate the future without the benefit of a crystal ball. The UNO is a basic workhorse, with a replaceable chip just in case! Blank chips are a small fraction of the UNO cost. But as you move up the product line, you typically get more SRAM and more I/O capability. Your "middle of the road" Arduino is probably the Mega2560, with lots of I/O and 8K of SRAM. It does not have a replaceable microcontroller... if you fry it, you might as well bury it.

I would strongly recommend the UNO in any event... it is a good prototyping platform for most small/medium projects. It is a workhorse. It is easily home built into a simple protoboard so that the UNO is not bound to a project. It is the physical BIG brother of those little Mini clones from China for $3. The UNO will accept a daughter card (called a shield) and many shields are available.

When you are working with an UNO, you have a standard frame of reference. You have a common way of communication for a problem to the forum. There are zillions of UNO's out here and the chance of finding something weird that has not been seen before is small.

As your project evolves, you can think about whether you need to buy a project Arduino. Maybe the UNO will suffice, maybe not, but they are relatively inexpensive as compared to college tuition or even a round of beers at the pub.

As you work through your project ideas, begin a spreadsheet. Identify the component, sensor, output device on the spreadsheet along with the power requirements and the protocol used... serial, SPI, I2C, direct port, buffered port, etc. Also list any required libraries that are common... LCD, SoftwareSerial, etc. By keeping track of physical requirements and the software needed, it is easier to identify the proper (final) board.

Ray