Unknown Display

Hello,

I have a 16x2 lcd from a old system but I don’t know how to install the pin numbers

Anybody an idea?

IMG_1668.JPG

/install/ the pin numbers?

It's a bog-standard HD44780-display, use google for christ sake :smiley:

// Per.

It may not be 'bog-standard'.

It looks as if the row of pins may be located below and to the left of the display whereas the standard displays have the pins above and to the left.

If that is the case then although the pin numbers should follow the standard their locations probably do not.

Your photo does not have enough resolution to be sure, but it looks like there are pin numbers printed on the pc board. In that case just follow any of the myriad of examples out there keeping in mind that the pin locations may differ from what you find but the pin numbers should be matched up.

We may be able to offer more help if you can supply good photos of both sides of the board.

Don

floresta:
It may not be ‘bog-standard’.

It looks as if the row of pins may be located below and to the left of the display whereas the standard displays have the pins above and to the left.

I’ve had lots of displays with non-standard connector locations and it’s still the same Hitachi-standard.

// Per.

Here you have 2 pictures, one of the front and one of the backside from the lcd.

I tried several times but it doesn’t work, the display will light up but no text from my sketch…

7e3ca1de4fe3ab60596fa5c4bf44070eeb8d1e98.jpg

f0032ff6325dcab68d73180c8b7a447eb9925c0d.jpg

The Hitachi controller datasheet does not specify the pin numbers or locations for the external connections to the pc board on which that controller is mounted.

The assemblies with the pins above and to the left of the display almost invariably have pin number 1 near the outside edge of the pc board and pin 14 (or 16 if there is an LED backlight) toward the center of the pc board. This is what I have called the standard pin layout.

This display, which photo 1673 clearly illustrates, has it's row of pins below and to the left of the display and as photo 1674 clearly illustrates also has a non standard pin layout.

Your photos still do not show enough information. Perhaps you could step back a bit and get a picture of the entire board so we can see if we recognize it. The information on the board may look like hieroglyphics to you but maybe not to us.

What do you mean by the statement "the display will light up"? What exactly are you seeing?

Don

Take proper photos.

Take it outside in full daylight.

Either work out how to use the "macro" function on your digital camera, or keep it about a metre away and use full zoom (7 times zoom) and maximum resolution. You may still need to crop the photo, but at least the details should be clear.

If you do not have a real digital camera, borrow one.