Unknown SMD

Hello people, I accidentally pulled this small SMD off while pulling a memory card from a board, I have no idea what it is, the markings on it look like a large A under 3 dots under a horizontal line? I attached an image of it, this is a TINY component so its hard to get a good pic.

I will try replacing it with a not so small of a replacement.

IMG_7235.JPG

dingo,

I have no idea what it is. But this may be able to help you out. Here is The SMD Code Book. Maybe do a check and Google Image the results? That link is the instructions, here is the actual book. Good luck and report back!

-xian

Thanks for the resource, most of the A-3 components seem to be diodes, i am sort of assuming the 3 dots means the digit 3, and the line on top is simply the diode direction, any more ideas?

It's most certainly a diode.

If you post a good sharp picture of the board it sits on, and a closeup in that area it is mounted (use the macro function -looks like a flower) then there is a good chance we can give you an idea of what to replace it with.

// Per.

Hi, if the contact surfaces of the SMD are still there, you could check for diode characteristic with a DMM.

Tom..... :slight_smile:

TomGeorge:
Hi, if the contact surfaces of the SMD are still there, you could check for diode characteristic with a DMM.

Tom..... :slight_smile:

i would if i could, but the contacts are sadly still attached to the pcb, i tried using a multimeter set to the diode drop to test the same looking device next to it and all that did was turn the camera on (which is what the board is) and no drop showed on the meter in either direction on the meter,

(EDIT)
i decided to try again but hold it down longer as i got scared when the device turned on and i stopped. but it does get a reading if i hold it down longer, .475 in one direction .480 in the other.

Never, ever try to probe something like that with power on. Remove the battery first.

If you take a good, sharp picture of the board, i can advice you what to replace it with.

// Per

Zapro:
Never, ever try to probe spmetging like that with power on. Remove the battery first.

If you take a good, sharp picture of the board, i can advice you what to replace it with.

// Per

the battery is hard wired, i would have to cut it and i prefer not to! i took some pictures of it, they are not attached but linked, the forum keeps timing out when i try to attach them, and yes they are lower than 4meg, my internet is just crappy is all.

Sorry, i forgot to mention this:

Take the pics in Macro mode (there is a small flower on the button or beside it)
and not the least, resize the pictures to be no more than 1024 pixels on the longest side. Not even my 27" iMac (2560x1440 pixels) can render those pics you attached, so i can see anything of meaning.

// Per.

i use my camera on manual its a DSLR, just view the links in a browser, it should scale it to fit in.

Sorry for my rant, but if you have a DSLR and know how to use it on manual, you should have no problem producing three sharp pictures. Only the last one is sharp-ish.

Under any circumstances, you should never solder to that board, without desoldering the battery wires first. Shorting out that LiPo-cell can be a very bad experience - I talk from experience here!

Anyhow, i cannot see the circuit on the flipside of that diode location, so it's a bit hard to see it's role in the circuit.

Try replacing it with a 1N4148 (leaded component) and see what happens.

// Per.

i have a big pack of 1N914 diodes, i think they are 1N4148?

and there is only so much i can do holding the camera by hand in the dark of night so i cant turn up the shutter speed to much to compensate, and the flash misses it at the range the camera is at.

and yea i know li-pos dont like being shorted or overcharged or punctured or anything really!

1N914 is one kind of diode. 1N4148 is another kind. They are not the same, but interchangeable.

Try mounting the 1N914 and see what happens.

Also, when taking pictures, turn on a lamp and photograph under that. It's the single most misunderstood practice among amateur-photographers. Since taking pictures is all about capturing light, good lighting conditions are paramount for good pitures.

// Per.

it had an LED lamp on it, and i shall give it a try!

woo, i tried it with the diode and it seems to work now, thanks for the help!