Uno Bootloader

I see Cool Components are selling the Atmega 328 with Uno bootloader (£6) or without (£3.59). If I buy the chip with no bootloader, is it simply a case of inserting it in my Arduino Uno board, connecting the USB lead, and select 'Burn Bootloader/w/ Arduino as ISP' ? OR is some other hardware needed?

pauldreed: I see Cool Components are selling the Atmega 328 with Uno bootloader (£6) or without (£3.59). If I buy the chip with no bootloader, is it simply a case of inserting it in my Arduino Uno board, connecting the USB lead, and select 'Burn Bootloader/w/ Arduino as ISP' ? OR is some other hardware needed?

No, not quite that simple. You need at least another arduno board (or some other hardware programmer) running the arduino as ISP sketch to program a blank 328 chip. If you have just the one arduino board then you need to setup the blank chips on a breadboard with the minimum components required and load your Uno with the Arduino as ISP that will then burn the bootloader into your standalone 328p circuit.

retrolefty:

pauldreed: I see Cool Components are selling the Atmega 328 with Uno bootloader (£6) or without (£3.59). If I buy the chip with no bootloader, is it simply a case of inserting it in my Arduino Uno board, connecting the USB lead, and select 'Burn Bootloader/w/ Arduino as ISP' ? OR is some other hardware needed?

No, not quite that simple. You need at least another arduno board (or some other hardware programmer) running the arduino as ISP sketch to program a blank 328 chip. If you have just the one arduino board then you need to setup the blank chips on a breadboard with the minimum components required and load your Uno with the Arduino as ISP that will then burn the bootloader into your standalone 328p circuit.

OK, good job I asked before ordering! Thanks

What if I build the Standalone Assembly with the booloaded 328? Shouldn´t I have an Arduino UNO? And then use it as an ISP?

Excuse me, retrolefty. Pauldreed ALREADY has an Arduino, UNO. As far as I understand ALL He needs to do is build the breadboard with the blank 328, upload ISP sketch to his Arduino UNO and bootload the new 328. Is this correct?

alah: Excuse me, retrolefty. Pauldreed ALREADY has an Arduino, UNO. As far as I understand ALL He needs to do is build the breadboard with the blank 328, upload ISP sketch to his Arduino UNO and bootload the new 328. Is this correct?

Yes I already have a Arduino Uno with Altmega 328 chip fitted which I have used to develop the project. Now I want to build a PCB (with no USB link), buy a blank 328 chip and upload the sketch to this chip before placing it in my project PCB to run as a standalone device. My original Arduino & 328 chip will be used to further develop the project (swopping chips with the PCB as it further develops).

It should work with an arduino board and the target IC. Wire the seperate 328 up as if it were the standalone version. Next, upload the 'arduino as ISP' sketch to the 328 in the arduino. Add wires for the MISO, MOSI, SCK and reset, then you can burn the bootlloader by clicking Burn bootloader->with arduino as ISP. It should all be explained here: http://arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/ArduinoToBreadboard

Onions.

alah: Excuse me, retrolefty. Pauldreed ALREADY has an Arduino, UNO. As far as I understand ALL He needs to do is build the breadboard with the blank 328, upload ISP sketch to his Arduino UNO and bootload the new 328. Is this correct?

I was responding to this original post where he asked if you could remove the 328p chip from his (only) Uno board and then plug in a blank 328p chip into the Uno and program a bootloader to it. I told him it's not that simple, but that he could wire the blank 328p chip into a breadboard circuit and then do it with his Uno board. Sometimes you have to read the complete post thread to keep up. ;)

So what is your comment about?

It wasn´t a comment, In fact it was a question, beacause I´m still sruggling to get mine to work.
I FINALLY got 4 328s, two bootloaded with OPTIBOOT, UNO and two blank.
My previous post ( on this topic ) were 3 questions; no answers, which is what I need.
Hope I don´t hurt anybody´s feelings, I´d prefer quitting first.