UNO communication through USB port

Is the hardware on the UNO (or any other Arduino) set up so that I can communicate with it from an application running on the PC through its USB port?

In other words, rather than using the UART to talk to the PC, can my sketch use the USB port?

A program on the PC can communicate to an Arduino through the COM port that appears when the Arduino is plugged into the PC. example COM 3

All you need is the PC programme that can do the job. It is standard procedure with any terminal programme.

In other words, rather than using the UART to talk to the PC, can my sketch use the USB port?

What in your mind is the difference between USB and a virtual COM port running over USB? In my mind there is no difference.

This Python - Arduino demo my be of interest. I believe it will work on Windows if the references to the serial port are adjusted in the Python code.

…R

richsolomon:

No, it's the UART that talks to the USB. You can use the UART (Serial, Rx/Tx) to talk either to USB or to some other device, but not at the same time.

Thanks, LarryD. That's the answer I was looking for. 8)